Trying to bring up a ticket 2003

R

Raven Keith

Jurisdiction
Texas
Hello,

Supposedly I was issued a speeding ticket back in 2003. On March 29th, 2016 I have a court date to fight this allegation. They say that they have been updating their system and only now is this ticket coming up! I am upset and surprised that after so may years they can try and bring this up. I am more than sure that if I was issued this ticket back in 2003 I would have taken care of it - but can't find proof - any suggestions?

I run across many, MANY people who do not remember traffic tickets that clearly appear on their driving record, even from only a year or two ago, so I think it's very possible you just don't remember.

If you have no proof then you're stuck. You'll have to have the charge adjudicated in court.

Yes, but how is it ok for me to have gone on that long with it not coming up when I go renew license, etc. - I am more than sure I took care of this...could their system that they are supposedly updating be wrong?? Also, is there not a statue of limitations?

Statute of limitations does not apply here. Assuming the ticket is yours... you were already charged by being served the ticket. Statute of limitations runs from the time of the offense until the time you get charged.

If you don't remember the ticket then you cannot be "more than sure" you took care of it. And it has nothing to do with your license if the court somehow misplaced it.

If you have no proof you "took care of it" then you have nothing to convince a court or judge that there is an error.

Yes, but how is it ok for me to have gone on that long with it not coming up when I go renew license, etc. - I am more than sure I took care of this...could their system that they are supposedly updating be wrong?? Also, is there not a statue of limitations?

Many people pay their citations via check or credit card.
You could try searching those records to see if you issued a check or used a credit/debit card to pay the citation.

Now, this might explain why you can't remember this incident.
Many times scammers close to you get caught and try to use the names of others to commit their schemes to NOT receive citations themselves, getting away with it by FRAMING innocent people like you, mate.

So, go to the JP Court or Muni Court and ask for a copy octane citation.
The citation reveals vehicle type, color, make, year, location of citation, license plate number, number of occupants of car, and other information which might help you determine if someone defamed you by holding themselves out as you.

Let us know if that happened. Your stringent denial of the citation makes me think this was done to you. You should have also received several notices mailed to your address over the years.

Houston is also notorious across the state for "losing" citations. Let's hope you aren't on the losing end of that fiasco.

Army judge, thanks a bunch! I am going to read this blog closely...I really appreciate the help. I didn't recieve ONE NOICE before the one they sent at the beginning of this month regarding this 2003 citation. Wish me luck in the 29th! I hope they drop it and I am done with this inconvenience!

Army judge, thanks a bunch! I am going to read this blog closely...I really appreciate the help. I didn't recieve ONE NOICE before the one they sent at the beginning of this month regarding this 2003 citation. Wish me luck in the 29th! I hope they drop it and I am done with this inconvenience!

You also need to get a copy of the alleged citation from the court.
In some cases, the court thinks you're stupid, rather the persecutor hopes you're stupid, because no copy can be found. Yes, it mysteriously got "lost".

Or, you may have been the VICTIM of identity fraud. Remember, "FIENDS", posing as FRIENDS, use your name to get themselves outta trouble. That act of betrayal causes you great trouble.

If you owned a 2003 Ferrari, but the "citation" says you were driving a 2003 Benz owned by your pal, BUDDY, you can connect the dots.

No matter what, a copy of that citation can tell you much.

Really??!!

I could lie and blame the notorious iOS "spell checker".

I often misspell THAT word as a joke, although I've known a few that reflect the meaning of the word.
Having done both jobs, I often ridicule my defense and prosecution brothers at the bar.

After all, gotta be one to know one.

Much like Mr. Trump, I'm a reformed "one", these days. LOL

So, yes.

Of course, if all police officers did their job correctly they wouldn't be issuing traffic tickets to unidentified individuals.

Again, we agree.
However, I don't blame any police officer for being bamboozled about a phoney name.
I blame their department policy which allows FIENDS to destroy the reputation of innocent people.
Most of the lumps police take are because departmental policies handcuff common sense.
We also see that as regards our school teachers, and lousy school boards and state laws.
Governments cause more trouble than they solve.

New York City's "loosey" campaign using police officers as tax collectors is one such solution that immediately comes to mind. Such shenanigans led to the death of the fat guy last summer.

In Chicago, for example, cops cite and release people who get a citation and can't produce a valid DL. Well, they book them, print and mugshot them, then cut 'em loose.

It often takes a couple weeks before the prints come back, meanwhile the damage has been done.

Back