Trump tax break

Osten

Jurisdiction
Alabama
I'm a non custodial dad. I was unable to work into the agreement, the desired, every other year, child tax credit benefit.

now that I hear that credit has been doubled, can I reap Any benefit? For example, does that affect the custodial parent's "income", or net?

We're supposed to re negotiate with a difference of ten percent to either party. The deck was stacked against me but I'll do my part. And the other party has received raises and or benefits in the last eight years. We've never renegotiated. My daughter is now eleven.

Should I do anything, can I, or what would you suggest?

Thank you kindly!

I'm a non custodial dad. I was unable to work into the agreement, the desired, every other year, child tax credit benefit.

now that I hear that credit has been doubled, can I reap Any benefit? For example, does that affect the custodial parent's "income", or net?

I'm not quite sure what you want to achieve here. The child tax credit is simply a credit that reduces the tax owed on the return and part of the credit may be refundable if the tax is less than the credit amount, though the amount that can be refunded is limited to $1,400 for each qualifying child. In short, the credit is like a payment towards the tax owed by the parent. It has no effect on the taxable income of that parent.

Whether you can go back to court now to seek a modification that would give you the child tax credit every other year or make some other changes to support order you have is something to ask a family law attorney in your state.

I'm not quite sure what you want to achieve here. The child tax credit is simply a credit that reduces the tax owed on the return and part of the credit may be refundable if the tax is less than the credit amount, though the amount that can be refunded is limited to $1,400 for each qualifying child. In short, the credit is like a payment towards the tax owed by the parent. It has no effect on the taxable income of that parent.

Whether you can go back to court now to seek a modification that would give you the child tax credit every other year or make some other changes to support order you have is something to ask a family law attorney in your state.
You are over thinking this Tax Counsel,
I'm quite sure exactly what he wants to achieve here.....he wants to see the MONEY from the child tax credit!!!!
So sorry Osten from Alabama, you have to head back to court to modify that agreement

You are over thinking this Tax Counsel,
I'm quite sure exactly what he wants to achieve here.....he wants to see the MONEY from the child tax credit!!!!

He wants to get some kind of beneficial change to the child support arrangement and is hoping that the child tax credit change might provide the basis for doing it. Often modification can be done when parties have a sufficient change in their income. That's why he was asking whether the child tax credit impacts the income of the parent getting the credit. I explained what the credit does and why it doesn't impact the income to address that question.

And I noted, as you did, that in any event he needs to go back to court to either get the child tax credit every other (or whatever) or get any other change in the child support arrangement.

I'm eight years in with less than eight to go. I'll just live it out.
This woman and her mother entrapped me but I won't get into all of that. I do want to support my daughter. Fortunately in addition to every other weekend and every other holiday, plus four weeks in Summer, I get to spend Tuesday afternoon and early evening with her every week. Yesterday it melted my heart to see a photo strip of the two of us, carefully punched for her three-ring binder and on top.

Thank you for your courteous and informative responses!

Back