truck is totalled in crash now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blindtech

I had just bought a truck from a friend about a month ago and am making payments on it so the title is still in his name, while driving home yesterday another driver ran a stop sign across the highway and i hit him at 60 mph, my truck is completely trashed the whole driver side front end is bashed in and the airbag went off the other auto is fine i only hit hit tail gate and ripped it off. the insurance for my truck was still covered under my friends policy but i couldn't find the card in the glove box, i was shaken up the card was in my wallet, i got a citation for not having it, but i had it, the other driver openly admitted to the highway patrol that he ran the stop sign, after i got home my adrenaline started wereing off and i started to feel pain, i went to the doctor and got some xrays everything is fine the doc said it was normal to hurt as i braced myself before impact, my question is, it is my car but the title is not in my name, it is insured but im not on the policy, i did get all the other drivers info, what should i do, or how do i file a claim this is my first accedent (and hopefully my last) or can i file a claim

note

You can be charge with damage to property. Confer with a lawyer so that you can be prepared for the impending trial.
Since the car was not in your name as well as the insurance, your friend will be in peril of being charge for too constitutive violation.

Suggestions

Your friends insurance coverage will apply if he can confirm permissive use. Even if the vehicle is not primarily driven by him and your not listed on the policy, you are still covered under his policy.

You need to file a clain throught the other persons carrier. Just find out what insurance company it is, Google it and look for a claims reporting link. Call it in, they are going to take a recorded statement from you and their insured, make a liability decision (sounds like the other guy is 100% at fault) and cover any damages to your friends vehicle and bodily injury claims. If the other guy is uninsured, you file a claim under your friends policy, if he has collision coverage they will take care of the damages to the vehicle, if not your sol. If he has medpay, bi or uninsured motorist coverages, that will take care of med bills, treatments and pain and suffering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back