Property Invasion, Damages, Trespass Trespassing - NYS Penal Law Section 140.05

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurboDiesel

Hello all.

Here's my charge:

On Monday, October 5th, 2009 I was served an appearance ticket for the charge of Trespassing - a violation of section 140.05 of the New York State Penal Law.

According to this New York State Penal Law, "A person is guilty of trespass when he knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in or upon premises."

I will use the following abbreviations for anonymity & simplicity:

"C" - my buddy & the husband
"J" - my buddy's wife (now ex-wife)
"S" - my cousin and son of my uncle
"K" - my uncle
"I" - Me

Ok, so here's what let up to this charge:

A friend of mine of many years, C, owns a snowmobile. Several years ago, I sold this snowmobile to him. At the time, he was married to J.

During the lengthy and nasty divorce between C & J, J was shacking up with my cousin, S. They were living at my Uncle K's property, where my uncle owns, but does not reside at.

During this time, and during the divorce proceedings, S & J proceeded to remove all of the marital asset items that they could from the house that C & J originally lived in. They were able to do this because C was prohibited to return back to his home by J and the law. Thus, C was unable to stop S & J from effectively stealing virtually all of C's possessions.

C's posessions were then taken to S's place by S, J, & K (again, property is owned by K).

During the divorce, with S's assistance, J made every attempt to sell off, and hide C's items so that C could never get them back. (Tools, machinery, vehicles, and much, much more.)

After a battle in court, most of the items that were originally C's were turned over to J, and a dollar value was placed upon them, in which J was responsible to pay to her now-ex husband C.
However, the snowmobile in question was conveniently "missing" due to the fact that S & J hid it on a neighbor's property without his knowledge. Therefore, it was NOT included in the divorce decree, and it therefore remains owned by C, as he is the legal, and current registrant of the snowmobile. (A current NYS registration for a snowmobile is legal proof of ownership. No titles are produced for snowmobiles.)

The neighbor found the snowmobile on his property and questioned S, who in turn lied and said that it was his and that he was sorry, as the snowmobile had "died" out in the middle of the tall grassy field. (How convenient. :rolleyes:)
The neighbor believed the lie that S gave, and S removed the snowmobile from the neighbor's property. S then hid the snowmobile on his father's (K) property.

Now, S has 2 sons. One son, I believe the oldest one, at some point in time had communicated with my friend C that he knew where the snowmobile was hidden. It was hidden deep back in K's property, very possibly under an apple tree in an abandoned apple orchard in the tall weeds.

C told me this, and I told him we should go and get it, as C is the legal owner, and that my Uncle K and I have always had a good relationship, and we typically come and go as we please on each other's property over the years. (We are all farmers of sorts.)

We both decided to wait a while until things calmed down at my Uncle's property, due to a lot of chaos that my idiot cousin S had created.
S had been stealing from a former employer, posessing weapons that he was told he could not possess by law, and for shooting himself, and trying to make it look like his now ex-girlfriend (J) had done it. (Yes, he's a nutcase.) :nuts

My cousin, S, was placed in jail for various charges. Amen for that.

OK, so back to MY involvement in this gigantic "MESS":

Many months later, approximately 15 months later to be more precise, C and I were informed by J that she wanted the registration for the snowmobile. C refused and told her that the snowmobile is HIS and that she was never going to get it, as she had no rights of ownership of it. I told C, why don't we just go get the snowmobile from K's place and this whole mess will be over. He agreed and we did so.

On June 12th, 2009, C and I went to K's farm property and saw the snowmobile from the roadway and entrance driveway. The snowmobile had been moved from it's "hiding place" and brought to the dooryard so that J could come and take it away. This is the only reason we were able to take the snowmobile in the first place, without K telling me exactly where it was located on his property. We proceeded onto the property, while I tried to contact K by calling him with my cell phone. K did not answer, but I did not worry about it, due to my good relationship with him over the past 30 years.

C & I proceeded to load the snowmobile onto a pickup truck, and then we left the property.

Later that evening, K called me and asked me if I had been on his property. He informed me that he had talked with J and that she said that C and I most likely took the snowmobile. She had been bugging C for the registration again, telling him that she wanted it and she was taking back the snowmobile that was supposedly "missing". That's why K even thought to call me in the first place. I explained to K that I had in fact been on his property, and that I removed the snowmobile with C from K's property, as C was the legal owner of the snowmobile. Confused, K asked if we had proof. I in turn told him, yes - of course - and C was more than willing to show K if he wished. K said ok fine, and that J had been saying that she had proof that she owned the snowmobile. I told K that she had to be lying and that it was impossible. I've seen the original legal NYS registration, in C's name only, and I compared VIN numbers with my own eyes.

K then went on to verbally accuse me of stealing various tools and other items from his property. I told him that was absolutely false, and that I didn't know anything about any other items that were missing from his property. We removed ONLY the snowmobile. I was aggravated and offended that he would accuse me of ever stealing anything from him, as my Uncle and I were family.

Time passed, and it was the 4th of July holiday. K invited my wife and I over with the rest of our families for a celebration, bonfire, fireworks, etc. I was hesitant at first, as I wasn't sure if he was going to make a scene or just plain be nasty to me. But, I decided that I would go, as he extended the invite, so he must be over the whole "snowmobile situation", as was I. We attended at K's property, and had a pleasant time, with K and I having typical friendly dialog, and no issues or mentions of the past at all.

Now... For whatever reason, K has decided that he's going to "get even" with me, because he has started questioning me again about his alleged missing items from his property, other than the snowmobile. Again, I told him, I DON'T KNOW anything about any other items that were removed from his property at any time. C & I removed ONE thing, and that was the snowmobile. PERIOD.
I told him that I now realize that I should have gotten in contact with him prior to taking the snowmobile, and that I apologize for that. It is very clear to me, that although at the time he seemed to accept my apology, he now does not.

Evidently, with this "trespassing" charge, this is my uncle's way of telling me to "f" off. I really don't get it. My other family members say that K told them that he doesn't believe me, and that I must have taken other things from his property, and that is why he is pursuing the trespass charge against me. Clearly, he doesn't have ANY case for anything else, as I haven't been charged with anything else.

I don't even understand how he can charge me with trespass, other than the fact that he is flat-out LYING in his statement to the Sheriff, in which he stated that he had previously told me that I could not be on his property. I will swear under oath, that he NEVER said that, and that I have family members that will attest to that fact.

Additionally, there is a supporting deposition in which K's son S, had supposedly filed back on March 21st, 2008. I had never seen it before in my life until I was just recently served my appearance ticket for Trespass on October 5th, 2009. I then received copies of the deposition from S, the statement from K, and the accusatory from the Sheriff Investigator.

In the alleged deposition, S claims that he wanted me to be arrested for entering his buildings in March and April of 2007, when I allegedly entered his property without his knowledge or permission. Again, this was supposedly filed on March 21st, 2008. I ask, why was I never made aware of this?

First of all, it is not his (S's) property. Secondly, the same applies as aforementioned. K and I have always had a friendly relationship, not to mention, we are relatives. We've always come and gone as we please on each other's property, especially during harvest times and such. The ONLY reason my cousin S didn't want anyone looking at anything on the property is because he was STEALING from various places, and was hiding the items in his father's buildings.

Anyhow, I guess the whole reason that I'm on here is to ask for any good legal advice. Any thoughts on what I should do, or how to defend myself? I'm very green to being treated as a bad guy, and I don't know what to do. I do not have much money, as I'm currently unemployed and my wife and I are losing the battle struggling to make ends meet as it is.

I thank everyone in advance for taking the time to read this mess and for any help that you can give. Any assistance will be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

My first court date is just over 3 weeks away.

Have a great day & god bless.

This was a long way to go for a simple question.

Even if you entered K's property to retrieve what some believed to be the property of another, entry onto K's property without his permission or without permission of anyone lawfully residing or in control of the property at the time it can be considered trespassing.

I suspect that the state is not going to want to go back in time and pursue old allegations, though there might be some legitimate theft investigations that can be involved in this. But the more-or-less recent trespassing may be pursued ... though, after a few months have passed without a report made, I believe that most prosecutors would leave this alone.

I would recommend you consult local counsel.

- Carl

I don't believe that entry onto the property to recover stolen property can be construed as unlawful. If you didn't have to open any gates or jump fences then the property was essentially open, and absent any posted 'no trespassing' signs there just isn't anything for them to argue about.
What I don't understand is why the snowmobile wasn't ever reported as stolen when it came up "missing". Had that been done then you could potentially have them facing felony charges for having stolen property.

Your ticket ordering you to appear is nothing to worry about. Show up, explain your story, and the whole mess will quickly be dismissed.

I don't believe that entry onto the property to recover stolen property can be construed as unlawful. If you didn't have to open any gates or jump fences then the property was essentially open, and absent any posted 'no trespassing' signs there just isn't anything for them to argue about.
That depends on the property. If this is a driveway of a residential neighborhood, I might agree with you. But, if this is in the country and the area they entered is in a ways from the road and beyond the walkway to the front door, I suspect it can be charged as trespassing.

What I don't understand is why the snowmobile wasn't ever reported as stolen when it came up "missing". Had that been done then you could potentially have them facing felony charges for having stolen property.
I suspect this is a big ol' civil issue with a bunch of angry family members playing a game of one upmanship.

Your ticket ordering you to appear is nothing to worry about. Show up, explain your story, and the whole mess will quickly be dismissed.
Or so he hopes. I'd recommend consulting legal counsel as there appears to be a chance of this ballooning into something even more dramatic.

- Carl

mightymoose said:

That depends on the property. If this is a driveway of a residential neighborhood, I might agree with you. But, if this is in the country and the area they entered is in a ways from the road and beyond the walkway to the front door, I suspect it can be charged as trespassing.

Yeah, the property is "residential" although it is a 40+/- acre farm. The home in question in which my cousin was residing is very close to the public road. Oh, say about 50 feet or less? My Uncle's other (new) home is literally about 1000 ft or so just to the south east of the original farmstead, and it has it's own "private drive". (They built a new place for themselves on their existing land, and although they claim they were "renting" to my cousin for the option to buy, I'm pretty sure that they were really giving the creep free room and board.) My now 42 yr old cousin has some serious mental issues, yet nobody has forced the guy into any psychological treatment - GO FIGURE.

There were no posted signs on the property that I am aware of. There are no gates, etc. This is a "rural residential" area. We drove up the main driveway past the house (that my cousin lived in before going to jail), turned around in front of the barn, picked the snowmobile up off of a pallet that it was sitting on, loaded it onto the back of the pickup truck, and we left. That's all, nothing more.

I suspect this is a big ol' civil issue with a bunch of angry family members playing a game of one upmanship.

Well, not really... I'm certainly not trying to "1-up" anybody. All I got involved for was to help a friend get HIS sled back. Nothing more. It's my loser relatives that have gotten all kinds of crazy, thinking they can just steal whatever they want, put it on their property, and then go after anyone that tries to take it back. Is that the definition of SICK or what?

As I previously described, my buddy's wife was screwing my cousin. The whore and my buddy got into a lengthy divorce. She had him "thrown-out" of his own home by her dishonest accusations and filing of an "order of protection" against him. She then basically "stole" most of his posessions with my cousin's and Uncle's help, by moving them all to my Uncle's property, in which my cousin was residing, and she later joined him after selling her home that she and my buddy owned when married.

Women seem to get orders of protection against men so very easily in this state (NY), and don't have to have much "proof" to get one. (Try doing it the other way around - good luck!)

Anyhow ironically, they don't consider her actions as theft/stealing because my buddies items were considered "marital assets". Or so I'm told. I don't see how one person can ban another from their property, and then sell off that person's property WITHOUT their consent. But evidently, that's what marraiges are all about - ownership of other people's posessions, and the ability to do whatever they want with them if (or when) things go "bad" between them. Makes zero sense.

And they wonder why people don't like to get married in this day and age????

Basically, I am just a friend of a guy who got his whole world turned inside out. I was willing to go help him get back a vehicle (snowmobile) that he rightfully and legally owned, once we were certain that we knew where it was. We also knew that once she decided that she wanted to remove the "missing" snowmobile, our time was limited before she got it and made it permanently "disappear". She is a bad person who knows other scum that would make it happen. She is strictly after money and revenge. Sad but true. So anyhow, I know the property owner (my Uncle) so I never dreamt that "Trespassing" would ever have been an issue. Goes to show what I get for ASSuming! My uncle is a bigger A-hole than I'd have ever dreamt.

Bottom line is this, my Uncle is out to get me for "revenge" for supposedly testifying in court against my buddy's wife. It, unfortunately, also threw my cousin (the thief) under the bus. I was subpoenaed to testify, so I really didn't have any choice in the matter, despite what my moron cousin or Uncle believe. If it helped put him in jail, oh well. That's what you get for being a scumbag. I'm just amazed that my Uncle keeps supporting him, but hey, I guess it's his "little boy".

mightymoose said:

Or so he hopes. I'd recommend consulting legal counsel as there appears to be a chance of this ballooning into something even more dramatic.
- Carl

You are correct Carl, this could very well turn into a bigger mess.
I have several greater concerns, not directly related to this clusterfk circus. What worries me is that my sick son-of-a bitch Uncle has already threatened to start followiing me around and "rat" me out to the authorities if he is ever able to catch me doing anything wrong.
Not to mention my nut-job cousin is not going to be in jail forever, as he'll only be locked up for another year or so, before they release him. My wife, my friends, and even myself are all a little worried about who the nut-job will come after next once he's no longer behind bars. Not sure if I mentioned this earlier, but the psycho carefully studied the human body on the internet, and then he SHOT HIMSELF, trying to "frame" his now ex-girlfriend for betraying him. He's wacko as hell, and I'm seriously considering going and getting myself a pistol permit and a pistol that I can wear all the time once he is let out of jail for protection for my family and friends.

Now, although I agree with you about the fact that I might benefit from obtaining legal counsel, the fact is that I absolutely cannot afford a lawyer. I'm currently unemployed and my wife and I are struggling to get by. SO, I'm going to have to take my chances with my honesty and a lot of luck. I know that a lot of it will have to do with the judge, and if he believes my testimony or not. (Yeah, I know, I'm probably gonna get screwed over royally.)
This is yet another problems with our legal system. Legal representation is NOT always available for those that are truly in need of it. I'm told that because my wife works, I'm not able to get a public defender. Makes absolutely no sense to me. Our bills are higher than what we can afford to live on with just her income, so you tell me how that makes sense? Sorry, but I'm sure as hell not going to stop paying my mortgage and go homeless, just so that I can hire a lawyer for a foolish "trespass" charge.

What really sucks is that this whole thing stemmed from a P.O.S. girl's greed and spite over a $700 - $1,000 market value snowmobile, and my cousin & Uncle's unwillingness to just let go of things and accept the facts of life.

For this, I was foolish enough to have gotten sucked into this nightmare of bullshit. Well, I can promise you... never again - lesson learned! Next time I go to reclaim any property, mine or otherwise, I'll be sure to bring the cops with me. (Please let there never be a next time...)

I feel like I'm stuck in a "Jerry Springer" episode with a bunch of damned low-lifes!

No clue why my buddy didn't report it stolen. Perhaps because it was just "swept under the rug" by the lawyers and judges as something that just wasn't important enough in the grand scheme of things during their lengthy and expensive divorce mess?

Also perhaps because he knew that they had it and the odds were that we could "recover it" back someday, free and clear, since he is the sole registrant/title holder and owner of the snowmobile? I really don't know.

As it turned out, the latter is EXACTLY what we did, once she brought the issue of the snowmobile to light (again about 1.5 years after the divorce was finalized), and my Uncle brought the sled out of "hiding" for her to come and get.
We just recovered the snowmobile BEFORE she did (which was/is NOT rightfully hers in any legal capacity anyhow) from my Uncle's property. That SOB continues to say how he didn't know that the machine was not her's, even though everyone knows for a fact that it wasn't, INCLUDING my Uncle. In my opinion (as well as much of my family's as well), my Uncle is nothing but a LIAR and a THIEF, just like his convicted son.

It appears to me that the only thing I'm truly guilty of is the fact that I really should have made certain that my Uncle knew for a fact that we were coming over to get the snowmobile from his posession. However, since it turns out that he is almost as dishonest as his crooked son, I'm kind of glad that I didn't, as he may very well have either hidden the snowmobile again, or worse... gotten it into her physical posession before we could pick it up, and then it would certainly have been gone forever.

Additionally, and even more importantly than that, we should have gotten the cops to come with us, so that we were not "trespassing" in any capacity, and then had my Uncle arrested for theft, or at least for posession of stolen property. Problem is, it would be pretty hard to prove that case when the item in question (snowmobile) was not ever officially reported as stolen!

Yes, it does sound like it could be a Springer episode. Clusters like these give even the prosecutors and the cops a headache. That could be good ... in that they might just dismiss the whole affair as a civil matter. Or, they may decide to scare everyone into knocking it off and hunt for a reason to charge everyone with something. I am thinking they'll go for the civil angle, but there's no telling for sure.

Good luck.

Oh, and a word of advice in the future - try to stay out of other people's convoluted personal affairs, it can get YOU sucked into a world o' pain.

- Carl

I can't imagine the trespass accusation going anywhere. I doubt you will need legal counsel for any of this. If you decide to go forward without it, you can still acquire assistance at any time.

The only dispute here is ownership of the snowmobile. That should have been resolved during the divorce. It is an issue for a civil court though.

From what you have said here you have never even been contacted by the police... just served a paper ordering you to appear in court. That tells me a lot about how far this will go... which is nowhere. A trespassing charge four months after the incident... I just find it laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back