travel across state lines with children

Status
Not open for further replies.

davesnite

I have been divorced from the mother of my 2 children, 11 & 13, since 2005. She has been and still is the classic 'Despotic Ex' from Hell. This issue i bring up is just one of many.
What are the requirements in law for a parent if he/she decides to take the kids across state lines? I had been texting and calling my kids for over a week with not one response until now. My son texted me to say that they are in Tennessee and now on their way to Florida. That would be fine with me except that the mother NEVER informed me of travel or asked in advance what my plans may be with our kids for this Spring break period. If the situation were reversed she would cause Hell for me. She has no respect for me as their father and i am tired of it. Im held to standards that she herself doesnt adhere to. I do not prefer to talk to the mother because she is a very arrogant person. She has no problems with yelling and arguing in view of our kids (to this day). I have my health (high BP) to be concerned about and so i requested only communication in letter form between she and I (she refuses to text). Doesn't a parent have to at least INFORM the other of travel across the country????? thanks all. PS (I believe that our court order states the necessity to inform of travel)

Illinois state law defers to the court order once the divorce and custody issues are final. Whatever your court order says about out-ot-state travel is what your ex must do. If it requires notification, then she's in contempt. If you want to pursue this in court, you can; however, don't expect her to receive more than a warning.

If she's infringing on your visitation, then that's contempt too. If you want to pursue this in court, talk to your attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back