Criminal Law Travel abroad & criminal record

Status
Not open for further replies.

wfr_

I had a misdemeanor(petty theft) 4 years ago, the case was expunged after 1 yr. I got my green card last year. I wonder if it is possible for me to travel abroad and come back to the US without any problems. It is a very important business trip, but I am afraid of being deported when I re-enter the US. Please help me to figure out, thank you!!

This is not legal Advice.

As you are already a green card holder this should not be an issue when returning to the USA, this may become an issue at the renewal of the green card or if the immigration decide at the time of arrival it is a problem, only someone who predicts the future would know that.
If you are realy bothered about the trip back then keep a card for an immigration attorney in your pocket just in case you need ot make that call but i forsee no problems.

Take care

Mark.

This is not legal Advice!

Your welcome.

Take care

Mark.

i have a question for wfr ... when you applied for the greencard did you have the misdemeanor already?

Hi, mixedg
I had the misdemeanor when I was waiting for my GC. After background check, INS found out my criminal record and asked me to summit some court document, couple weeks later, I got my green card.....

This is not legal Advice!

This proves the point that every case is different, I know of people who have just tried to vacate to the USA for 2 weeks in the holiday time and have been denied the right to enter for having past convictions in another country that are many years in the past.

Immigration departments are not silly they pretty much know the score and can make a very consevative dission on the spot, some get it wrong but most of the time they get it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back