Transfer Judgment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Innerlaner

I thought I posted this but can't find it ..

I won a default judgment against a scammer in El Paso, TX. My local court says I have to transfer judgment to El Paso. I did extensive research on El Paso courts but am unable to locate an answer. Anyone know anything about transferring judgment and/or specifically to El Paso, TX.

Yes, I know my chances of getting my money back is slim but any inconvenience caused to the scammer is some satisfaction to me.

Thanks!

I thought I posted this but can't find it ..

I won a default judgment against a scammer in El Paso, TX. My local court says I have to transfer judgment to El Paso. I did extensive research on El Paso courts but am unable to locate an answer. Anyone know anything about transferring judgment and/or specifically to El Paso, TX.

Yes, I know my chances of getting my money back is slim but any inconvenience caused to the scammer is some satisfaction to me.
Either the court you sued may not have jurisdiction over the defendant or the terminology might be incorrect. The court you sued in was a local court that may not have had jurisdiction over the scammer. For example, a small claims court only has jurisdiction over the parties where the defendant resides in the county of that small claims court. The other possibility is that you may have to "perfect" your judgment. That could mean a filing fee and notice to the defendant who may have a chance to complain to the court that there is a good reason why this judgment isn't valid, e.g. the defendant wasn't properly served in the first case, the defendant didn't appear because the first court didn't have jurisdication to hear the case, etc.

I guess I should mention that this was an internet transaction. I used "I" so to not have to explain relationships .. but my relative lives in PA and the scammer lives in TX. Computer used to buy, pay and shipment all happened in PA. Our local court allowed us to file for these reasons but they may not be able to enforce payment since the scammer has no property in PA. The court said we would have to transfer judgment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back