1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Tranfer agreement vs. Copyright application Copyright

Discussion in 'Copyright, Trademark, Patent Law' started by jb5000, Apr 3, 2017.

1. jb5000

jb5000 Law Topic Starter Guest

Jurisdiction:
    California
    I registered my screenplay at Library of Congress. I did a revised version which I did a separate registration. Both these copyright registrations were done with me as the author/owner because I wrote it. I then filled out and sent in a application with me as author and a friend as a claimant (he gave me the idea). Now, I did not do a transfer or rights agreement with him. Have I signed my script over by adding him as claimant or am I still the sole owner?

2. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

What do you mean by registering him "as a claimant"?

And what makes you think that the Library of Congress has anything to do with copyright?

I have a feeling that you know nothing about how copyright works so I suggest you go to the US Copyright Office's website and study up:

U.S. Copyright Office

You had copyright protection the minute you wrote the screenplays. What you did by making somebody a "claimant" is something you'll need to figure out for yourself. It'd be a good idea for you to talk to a copyright attorney before you do anything else foolishly.