Alcohol & Drugs: DUI, DWI Traffic Violation vs Public Saftey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebelion85

I received a ticket for a Failure to Dim, my high beams. I was pulled over for suspicion of drunk driving, however I was driving with my high beams on because i had a head light out. I noticed my head light out while i was driving at 1am in the morning on my way home from my schools library. I cant replace the light and was an hr away from my house, i had no options so i turned my high beams on so that i wouldn't be in violation of a law. I wanted my car to be seen and not have only one functioning headlight to be seen either. ? i have a court case scheduled so i am wondering if there is a presidence to being able to violate the law if your acting in benefit to public safety, of if it is only up to the discretionary powers of the ticketing officer and the judge?
Question-
If i go to court what are my options of pleading not guilty due to acting in the benefit of public safety, and what precedence there is to substantiate my case?

I received a ticket for a Failure to Dim, my high beams. I was pulled over for suspicion of drunk driving, however I was driving with my high beams on because i had a head light out. I noticed my head light out while i was driving at 1am in the morning on my way home from my schools library. I cant replace the light and was an hr away from my house, i had no options so i turned my high beams on so that i wouldn't be in violation of a law. I wanted my car to be seen and not have only one functioning headlight to be seen either. ? i have a court case scheduled so i am wondering if there is a presidence to being able to violate the law if your acting in benefit to public safety, of if it is only up to the discretionary powers of the ticketing officer and the judge?
Question-
If i go to court what are my options of pleading not guilty due to acting in the benefit of public safety, and what precedence there is to substantiate my case?
It would be up to the officer, and then to the judge, if they decide to exercise discretion and commend you for your thoughtfulness. However, depending on the state you live in, a headlight out is likely a "fix it" ticket, whereas a failure to dim the highbeams is probably not.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back