Traffic Ticket, Reduced Fine & Traffic School

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bodkin

I've been trying to piece this together and I think I've pretty much got my plan straight, but I'd like to run it by the people of this forum to see if I have my information correct.

First off, I received the ticket in Orange County, CA, where I reside.

I received a ticket for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign. I would fight this ticket, as I believe that I'm innocent, but in court it would be my word against the police officer's and no other way to prove my innocence.

So at this point I've decided just to go to traffic school since I'm eligible.

From what I've read, I should schedule an arraignment, plead no contest or guilty and hope the judge reduces my fine. I would also be eligible for traffic school to remove the point from my record.

Is this all correct? Is the judge able to deny traffic school at the arraignment if I plead guilty?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

-Bodkin

Show up on your court date. If the officer is not there, request a dismissal. If he is there, take the traffic school.

lwpat said:
Show up on your court date. If the officer is not there, request a dismissal. If he is there, take the traffic school.

If I plead innocent at my arraignment, set up a court date, and the cop does show up and I'm found guilty, then can the judge deny traffic school to remove the point? I was under the impression that the judge can strike down traffic school if I plead innocent and lose.

lwpat said:
Your impression is correct.

My original question hasn't been answered. Thanks for helping me out lwpat.

Bodkin said:
From what I've read, I should schedule an arraignment, plead no contest or guilty and hope the judge reduces my fine. I would also be eligible for traffic school to remove the point from my record.

Is this all correct? Is the judge able to deny traffic school at the arraignment if I plead guilty?

Please answer my original question.

Bodkin said:

I would really appreciate if someone could answer my original question. I have to act soon on this and would be really grateful for some help.

You can certainly plead guilty and ask for traffic school at arraignment. In fact, you will likely be given that option by the clerk of the court if you are eligible.

What most people do is wait until the day of trial to see if the officer on their case is going to show up. If the officer does show up, the court will usually allow anyone who had previously pled not guilty and came to trial an opportunity to change their plea to guilty and then take traffic school if they are otherwise eligible. Very rarely will CA traffic court judges offer traffic school after a contested trial.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back