Traffic Ticket Points, New York & New Jersey

Jfffry

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
My girlfriend's brother was driving us to New York City from Paramus, New Jersey. After we crossed the tunnel he received a speeding ticket in New York City. I have never seen this happen and I didn't think he was going extremely fast but apparently it was about 15 MPH above the speed limit according to the officer.

He certainly wants to fight the ticket but the thing that makes him most nervous is the points, which I understand can be the biggest problem with insurance issues. Does New Jersey have an agreement with New York where points are shared with New Jersey?

I also wonder whether they do plea bargains in exchange for removal of points. All these places seem to just want cash. The points are sometimes plea bargaining chips to get the drivers to pay. Unfortunately it may work here. Any help is appreciated.

Does New Jersey have an agreement with New York where points are shared with New Jersey?

All states are members of the Driver License Compact and report citations to each other.

NJ assigns two points to moving violations committed out of state.

NJ Points Schedule (state.nj.us)

His citation should provide options, if there are any.

Or he can call the court and ask.

Or he can consult a NYC traffic attorney and review his options.

I'm an ex-NYer. I'm having a hard time imagining anybody being able to do 15 over on Manhattan streets.

What street or streets was he cited on?

My girlfriend's brother was driving us to New York City from Paramus, New Jersey. After we crossed the tunnel he received a speeding ticket in New York City. I have never seen this happen and I didn't think he was going extremely fast but apparently it was about 15 MPH above the speed limit according to the officer.

He certainly wants to fight the ticket but the thing that makes him most nervous is the points, which I understand can be the biggest problem with insurance issues. Does New Jersey have an agreement with New York where points are shared with New Jersey?

I also wonder whether they do plea bargains in exchange for removal of points. All these places seem to just want cash. The points are sometimes plea bargaining chips to get the drivers to pay. Unfortunately it may work here. Any help is appreciated.
Your girlfriends brother should consult with an attorney to determine his best options.

All states are members of the Driver License Compact and report citations to each other.
Wisconsin and Massachusetts are not part of the DLC. Even fewer states are members of the NRVC. You're thinking of the NDR, I think.

Anyhow, none of this helps the poster. NJ and NY cooperate fully on all of this.

In NY, chances are the case is going to be heard by the TVB. There's not much you can do procedurally to get a loophole there and there's no way to duck out of the charge other than to be found innocent (unlike other states with things like nolos, PJCs, or other deferrals).

Back