1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Trademark Inquiry

Discussion in 'Copyright, Trademark, Patent Law' started by guestbrill, Dec 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guestbrill

guestbrill Law Topic Starter New Member

I am researching starting an online t-shirt business. Some of the shirts I want to create use the nickname/mascot names of colleges such as Hurricanes or Seminoles. Will I get in trouble for these shirts? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

2. seniorjudge

seniorjudge Super Moderator

You need permission of trademark holders to use their trademarks.

3. guestbrill

How do I find out if their trademarked?

4. guestbrill

If hokies is trademarked, can I still use hokie?

5. seniorjudge

What's a hokie?

6. guestbrill

A hokie is an emasculated turkey. I went to the government trademark website and found hokies is registered to Virginia Tech however I didnt see anything trademarked for plain hokie. Does this mean as long as I use hokie and not hokies I am safe?

7. seniorjudge

Q: Does this mean as long as I use hokie and not hokies I am safe?Does this mean as long as I use hokie and not hokies I am safe?Does this mean as long as I use hokie and not hokies I am safe?

A: A turkey eunuch is a school mascot? Now I can die in peace for I have heard everything. Anyway, if you use somebody's trademark, you need permission. It's a simple concept. I don't know if you will be safe or not. My crystal ball got broken during the November elections.

8. guestbrill

I guess what I am asking is if the word "hokies" is trademarked but "hokie" is not, can I use the nonplural hokie? I am unclear on how specific trademarks are.

9. wcomp

wcomp New Member

If it would create a likelihood of confusion withe the genuine mark - something which would seem to be the case, as your merchandising plan wouldn't have much value if nobody would think of the trademark when they saw your variant - it is likely going to violate their trademark.