Told I would pay $100 for treatment, billed for $3000, threatened with collections.

Jurisdiction
Wisconsin
Long story short...went in for some dental work and got a quote for around $1,000~ to have everything done. I was told that was my out the door price and I made double-sure that is what it was and that it wouldn't change and went ahead with treatment.

After the treatment, about two months later, I receive a bill for $3,000. I asked for proof that I agreed to pay this amount and they do not have any signed documents from me even agreeing to have service done.

Now they are threatening me with collections after I have tried to work with them. I have no problem paying the amount I was told I would pay. If they would let me I would pay immediately.

My questions is...if they send my account to collections and tarnish my credit without being able to prove I owe the debt, what can I do?

Long story short...went in for some dental work and got a quote for around $1,000~ to have everything done.

Did you get it in writing?

Now they are threatening me with collections after I have tried to work with them. I have no problem paying the amount I was told I would pay.

Then pay it. Pay the $1000 along with a letter explaining why you are paying the undisputed amount and disputing the rest.

If you don't do that, they can only conclude that you don't want to pay any of it. Talking doesn't butter any parsnips. If they send you to collections all they have to do is prove that you owe the undisputed part and your credit is trashed anyway.

Paying the $1000 may get them to back off on the rest.

Back