To pro se or not to pro se

Status
Not open for further replies.

defiesLOGIC

I am considering writing a book that might be helpful in addressing the perils of having to represent oneself in court (an unfortunate situation wherein I found myself in several years ago).

Here's my question: What is the one piece of advice that you would give to a person who has no other choice but to go to court pro se (in a non-criminal case)?

I am considering writing a book that might be helpful in addressing the perils of having to represent oneself in court (an unfortunate situation wherein I found myself in several years ago).

Here's my question: What is the one piece of advice that you would give to a person who has no other choice but to go to court pro se (in a non-criminal case)?

1. Ask a lot of questions in this forum first. :D

2. If it's a critical matter (e.g. custody battle) then do whatever you can to find representation and don't go at it alone.

3. Be as prepared as you can be to present your case. You don't need to be an attorney to be prepared and the judge will appreciate your sense of order and respect of the court's time.

4. Don't be afraid to ask questions - there are frequently people around the courthouse who will help, e.g. court clerk. Use them.

5. Be confident. Too many feel intimidated and don't act with confidence and authority. I know it sounds a little ridiculous but it's true.

6. Say as little as you need and get to the point as quickly as possible. Don't volunteer information if it's not necessary.

7. Understand the court rules and procedure, which is sometimes overlooked as being completely secondard to the issues in the case.

These are a few off the top of my head. :)

I need ask to what it would take to gain your permission to use the afore mentioned response in printed or electronic form?

My biggest hurdle was #7 above. It was like being dumped into a foreign country and having to learn the dialog and nuances enough to function without looking/sounding like a complete fool.

Very hard to do under stress.

Jennifer

I need ask to what it would take to gain your permission to use the afore mentioned response in printed or electronic form?
It's not a problem at all. Just send me a private message or email and we can work it out. This forum is all about helping people with the law and empowering them with knowledge. The "ignorance of the law is no excuse" doesn't really give me the warm fuzzies because our laws don't always lend themselves to be easily known, understood, or advocated.

In fact, this site was founded based upon a pro se case that occurred about 12-13 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back