Title not on sellers name

Trendy

Jurisdiction
Texas
I bought a car from an individual not only is the paperwork inconsistent but the title is not in his name? 20 minutes after I drove away with the car it died and now it's at a mechanic shop that I paid to tow it to. After several attempts he has decided that he will not give me my money back but he will get in touch with the actual owner (his friend)and get the proper bill of sale written up and signed. Can he do that? Isn't it illegal in Texas to sell a car that is not titled in your name?

Probably not illegal. Property can be sold by an owner or an owners agent.
It's your car now. Don't get your hopes up for a refund/return.

I bought a car from an individual not only is the paperwork inconsistent but the title is not in his name?

And you didn't see that before you handed over the money? Oh well.

20 minutes after I drove away with the car it died and now it's at a mechanic shop that I paid to tow it to.

And you didn't have a mechanic check out the car before you bought it? Oh well.

Isn't it illegal in Texas to sell a car that is not titled in your name?

"Title jumping" is probably illegal but if he actually does get a bill of sale made out by his friend to you I doubt if the DMV will say boo about it.

But that has nothing to do with the fact that you bought a crappy car "as is." You're stuck with that.

I bought a car from an individual not only is the paperwork inconsistent but the title is not in his name?

Did you come to learn that this Bamboozler had a vehicle for sale by reading a post on the favorite playground for scammers, killers, rapists, and bamboozlers; CraigsList?

To protect your investment and prevent fraud follow these tips:

1 - Have the vehicle inspected by a trusted local mechanic before you decide to purchase the car or establish how much you'll pay.

2 - VERIFY every vehicle identification number (VIN) by visually inspecting each location one is placed on the vehicle.

3 - Order a vehicle history report, as an extra layer of protection.

4 - Don't buy the vehicle UNLESS the seller accompanies you to the DMV to complete the transfer of title.

5 - Don't hand over any payment UNTIL the title has been properly transferred into your name in person at the DMV.

How Do I Complete a Texas Title Transfer:

1 - Obtain a signed title and completed Application for Texas Title (Form 130-U). (Do this ONLY at a local Texas DMV Office.)

2 - Obtain a release of lien and/or power of attorney (if applicable).

3 - Take the paperwork (and the potential seller) to your local county tax office.

4 - Pay the required fees and taxes.

Don't trust anything a seller tells you, until you've proven it to your satisfaction, unless you want to help fleece yourself!

Despite your use of a question mark, this sentence isn't a question. If you intended a question, I cannot discern what you intended to ask. In any event, why did you go through with the sale if "the paperwork [was] inconsistent [and] the title [was] not in [the seller's] name"? It's awfully hard to understand why a reasonable adult would do something like that.

20 minutes after I drove away with the car it died

Did you test drive the vehicle or have it inspected by a mechanic before buying it?

he has decided that he will not give me my money back

Why would he? Private party used car sales are made on an as-is basis.

but he will get in touch with the actual owner (his friend)and get the proper bill of sale written up and signed. Can he do that?

We have no way of knowing what this unknown person's abilities are.

Isn't it illegal in Texas to sell a car that is not titled in your name?

No, it's perfectly legal for one person to act as the agent of another person in connection with the sale of property.

Back