Time limit and place for a civil case agains Public University

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaa1

Jurisdiction
California
Hello,

1- What is the time limit to file a civil case against a public university?
2- Where is the best place to file a lawsuit after 6 months from the first discriminatory incident done by university's staff and administrators (by both using a pretext and violating the internal regulations)?

Thanks.

Are you a student or an employee of the university?

I'm a student, and currently studying at the same university.
The first discriminatory act happened around 11 months ago in an extra curricular activity. After my first complaint, the university was suppressive, partial and discriminatory in all their judgements, and not responsive to my inquries about my complaints and about my right to due process, and about my inquires on "where can I file an official compliant?".

Last edited:
Lawsuits against government entities are very complex.

Start reading at some of these search results:

california tort claims against school districts at DuckDuckGo

Hire yourself an attorney and review your options.

Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately, I don't afford to hire an attorney. I have decided to file a lawsuit by myself, but so far, I have not found out about the right place and right procedure. I read online informations, but as you mentioned, it seems very complex, and I couldn't conclude on the information that I read.

Tell us more about the "discriminatory act".
It was censoring my presentation in a competition by using a pretext to say that it violates the competition regulations, while it was a baseless and incorrect excuse. So, they deprived me from an equal opportunity. The unsoundness of their excuse was admitted by many, including experts of the field. Also, although I complaint and questioned the accuracy of their accusation and asked for the proof, they didn't prove it the me, because it was impossible to prove, but they asserted on accusing me and censoring my presentation. I was guilty without proof, and innocent based on facts, but they implyed that I don't have the right to question their accuracy.

Based on what you have posted, that is NOT a "discriminatory act" that will provide you with legal damages. If you had to guess, WHY do you believe they said your presentation violated the regulations? What was their motivation?

Based on what you have posted, that is NOT a "discriminatory act" that will provide you with legal damages. If you had to guess, WHY do you believe they said your presentation violated the regulations? What was their motivation?
Thank you for your reply. I prefer not to explain more about my case online. However, I have reasons why I think what happened was unjust and probably based on discriminatory intentions.
I'm still wondering about the answer to my two questions, if the answers don't require more details.

So you entered some sort of competition and were told by a professor (?) to modify your entry in some way to conform to that professor's understanding of the rules or guidelines. Or your entry was disqualified as it did not meet the parameters of the competition. Others disagree. That isn't even remotely in violation of equal opportunity. If they prevented you from entering because it was only open to those of another race, or religion, that would be a different story. You would need to go through your Title IX Coordinator first, but you might have legal recourse. If it is just a difference of opinion over the interpretation of a competition's rules, that does not leave you with legal recourse. You can discuss it with the Dean or Provost, but I'm not sure what you expect anyone to do about it 6 months later. Even if you had remained in the competition or not modified your project, you were not guaranteed to win.

So you entered some sort of competition and were told by a professor (?) to modify your entry in some way to conform to that professor's understanding of the rules or guidelines. Or your entry was disqualified as it did not meet the parameters of the competition. Others disagree. That isn't even remotely in violation of equal opportunity. If they prevented you from entering because it was only open to those of another race, or religion, that would be a different story. You would need to go through your Title IX Coordinator first, but you might have legal recourse. If it is just a difference of opinion over the interpretation of a competition's rules, that does not leave you with legal recourse. You can discuss it with the Dean or Provost, but I'm not sure what you expect anyone to do about it 6 months later. Even if you had remained in the competition or not modified your project, you were not guaranteed to win.

Thank you for you reply.
Unfortunately, that is not what happened. They told me that I cannot present that important part of my presentation, and didn't let me to modify it. They were staff, and then deans, not my professors. When I asked why, they told me that their understanding of their rules is unquestionable, and I have violated the regulations. They changed the meaning of a word and interpreted reguation in the opposite way of what was written on the regulation file (I used something that was directly mentioned to be fine, but they changed its meaning to another thing). It was shocking for me. Their interpretation was called insane (or similar) by many people to whom I discussed the case, and their decision as unfair. They violated their own regulations, and told me that I don't have the right to question it. I emailed them and explained that why their interpretation is not correct and absolutely unpredictable, and asked them to let me modify my presentation, but again, they suppressed me and even invited me not to participate. When I asked for a logical discussion based on that regulation and the meaning of the word, they told me that "logic is about philosophy, and we don't discuss it here", and also "talking about the meaning of a word is about semantics and we don't discuss it".
At the end of the meeting that I had about it with our ombuds to discuss the issue and try to address it again at university, he told me that "you will win" (the case) because first, we investigated the truth in that meeting. There is no way to justify what they did. Later in a grievance meeting, the grievance officer and dean only suppressed me and told me that " we are not going to parse a word" while I was accused of the violation of the regulation because they parsed a word in an incorrect, weird and unpredictable way, which was a clear evidence that they were not familiar with the meaning of their regulations, so they used it to be unjust towards me. Months later, I was also told in a sympathetic way by one of the high-ranked employees (who worked directly with provost) in a meeting that I asked for to discuss my complaint and learn about my rights and learn about how to make an official complaint that "even if you are right, unfortunately you don't have the right to due process (maybe on campus) because it is not about your academic progress". When I sent all my explanations and evidence by email to office of the compliance and audit months ago to ask about my rights to due process and learn about what to do, they stayed silent, and then again, sent me to a loop.

In the following link, there is more information about their baseless and shocking interpretation:
An on-click embedded audio file vs Animation in Powerpoint?

You've been given information, OP.
Nothing more we can do.
If you wish to pursue this further, you'll need to take pro se legal action, or hire yourself a licensed lawyer.

Thread closed.

You have STILL not posted anything to suggest that ILLEGAL discrimination took place, or that you have any recourse under the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back