Ticket not in court system yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanasanaide

So I got a reckless driving ticket a while ago. I showed up on my arraignment date and I wasn't in their system yet. I went to the CHP and they said they're backed up and there's nothing they, or I, can do. Now here's the question: I signed the ticket saying I would show up on that day at that time; is it legal that the CHP or traffic court system can reschedule for any day they want?

I've been looking up and down for a code # saying this is legal, and I've found nothing. If it is legal, why do we need to sign the ticket?

I'm asking because I'm moving very soon and it will be impossible to show up to a later "mandatory" court day.

1 Year S.O.L. in CA!

First of all, your signature on the speeding ticket was in fact your promise to appear before a judge for arraignment in lieu of arrest and custody, a promise which you very wisely kept by appearing in court only to find that you are not in the system, and that is good news for you!

All infraction and misdemeanor offenses in California are governed by a 1 year statute of limitation, meaning that the prosecution has 1 year from the date of the offense to file a complaint and try the case, or else the case will be dismissed, never to see the light of day again. However, the statue will toll (stop running) if you leave the state and will restart once you return.

fredrikklaw

So long as you did not receive a notice to return to court on a new date, you will be in the clear. If you appeared on the date promised and have received no further instructions, then they can't get you for failure to appear..... but they can send you a notice in the mail at a later time that advises you of the changed court date, or otherwise serve you notice.
If you move and they aren't able to reach you by mail then a warrant could be issued, or the charge could be dismissed altogether.
If a warrant is issued you would not likely be arrested... you would just receive a new citation with a new court date.

Ok, nevermind. The officer wrote the wrong address on the ticket. I did as I was instructed so I should be in the clear. I set a new court day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back