Threatened for [Not] Stealing

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaos285

I work for a large organization. Recently I had a meeting with a very high up member of the Loss Prevention team; I was basically accused of stealing cash.

Backstory:
I first was asked in several different ways (including being told this wasn't a "cold" question- meaning there was evidence to back it up), each of which I denied (because I haven't ever taken a thing). Next, I was told there was video of me doing such so I might as well confess; this of course is impossible and I stated so. As soon as I stated it was absolutely impossible, the "interrogator" backed off and talked about a different topic.

He then asked me about a procedure I had performed a few times in the past. I told him that I had done it; and there is no policy against what I did, and my past managers have (a) done it, (b) approved it. He said of course there wasn't a policy but it was "unethical", so I said I appologize and I will of course not do this again; however he is the first person to say this (and trust me... what was done can not be a "loss prevention" issue as the company does not incur any loss from this)

After that, he again accused me of stealing again from a different area. Once again, I flat out denied this accusation and explained to him that there are roughly 50 other people that could have done what he claimed I did and actually spoke about how I've been instrumental in putting controls in place to avoid this kind of loss.

I was told that he did not appreciate my hiding something from him and I had to write a statement of what we spoke about.

I understand that NY is an at-will employment state so technically I can be "terminated" for any reason. My question is this, I have recently been seeking a promotion within this organization and by these actions from the Loss Prevention side have tainted my name with senior management and also left a record (the statement) in my personnel file. Is there anything I can do about this?

Also, I know management is very bad about keeping "incidents" quiet. If other employees find out about the accusations, it would damage my credibility (as 30-40 directly report to me); is there anything I can do should (when) this happens?

I appologize for being vague, but I'm trying to tell the story without telling too much as the incident is still "pending"...

There is nothing actionable in your post. They can question you about theft. They can tell others. They can choose not to promote you due to this accusation as well as they can fire you. If you use the link in my signature line it will take you to a retail theft forum. The experts there can answer any questions you might have on Loss Prevention and their policies and actions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back