threat of lawsuit by landlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetappl2

I wrote a review on apartment ratings.com and have recieved emails from various accounts threatening me that they are going to sue me because of my "defamatory comments, libel, and false reviews." I never actually lived there. Can an apartment complex do that? Isn't that protected by freedom of speech?

NO, it is not PROTECTED - and since you have no first hand knowledge, why did you publish FALSE information about the complex?

Remove your post ASAP and look up libel and slander.

Okay I worded it a little wrong. I didn't just write it and not live there at all. I was a prospective tenant and I had the lease sent to me (after numerous calls asking where it was). I was in contact with the landlords for months and had so much difficulty. They did not lift a finger to help me really, but it was a last resort place and I was out of town. I was going to be subleasing for this girl, but once I saw the apartment, I left really quickly. They sent really nasty emails. Isn't it freedom of speech to leave negative ratings on a public website so others know what they are getting themselves into? They think I falsified everything, but in my opinion it was the truth! I said nothing of cursing or anything horrible, I only told that I felt they were difficult, there were a lot of fees, and that the walls and carpets were stained, etc.... Things like that, isn't that what that website is for or why

Okay I worded it a little wrong. I didn't just write it and not live there at all. I was a prospective tenant and I had the lease sent to me (after numerous calls asking where it was). I was in contact with the landlords for months and had so much difficulty. They did not lift a finger to help me really, but it was a last resort place and I was out of town. I was going to be subleasing for this girl, but once I saw the apartment, I left really quickly. They sent really nasty emails. Isn't it freedom of speech to leave negative ratings on a public website so others know what they are getting themselves into? They think I falsified everything, but in my opinion it was the truth! I said nothing of cursing or anything horrible, I only told that I felt they were difficult, there were a lot of stupid extra fees, and that the walls and carpets were stained, etc.... Things like that, isn't that what that website is for or why would it be running?

The emails that were sent had a lot of false info too. Like they said they never sent me the lease even though it is sitting in my trash can. They sent legal notices and I don't even think it was from an actual lawyer because it was a hotmail account? Or that I interfered with their holidays (i never called them on a holiday) and that I was so needy (well I need an apartment duh! and you aren't helping!) What is the deal??

I dont know what to do. I keep getting threatening and harassing emails from them. I got another one today. I am not responding to these at all yet this is the fourth one they've sent me!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back