This sounds a little fishy to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyleW

So a little while ago out of the blue I guess the hosting company I was with for my server got bought out which is all fine and dandy with me but this morning I get an email saying i have to pay money in order to keep my account active. Granted the fee is small only $5 but i paid my lease in full at the startup, so in other words no monthly payments. This new company sends an email out announcing who they are which again doesnt bother me but no where have i signed any terms and conditions with them and yet this morning they send out this email:

Hello,
The server will soon be reloaded Next Week (around the 3/11/2012) . ALL Accounts will be terminated! - Please backup your accounts. Once the server has been reloaded any resellers paid their account fee of $5 will be reloaded and placed back on the server (we will need you to reply to this email with your email address for payment options.)

This Process needs to happen due to faulting services and applications. We will repost all the news on hidden.com which is the company running this server. Please email support@hidden.net if you need any help on any of the issues.

To me this sounds a little like extortion, can they do this?

Please google "extortion".
That I did and here is what I have obtained
Google said:
ex·tor·tion/ikˈstôrSHən/
Noun:
The practice of obtaining something, esp. money, through force or threats.
any resellers paid their account fee of $5 will be reloaded and placed back on the server

So if I dont pay then I dont get to keep my server that I have paid for? Why do I have to pay because they have faulty applications and services that they just now found out about?
They are "forcing" me to pay by "threatening" me to close my account and server hence the term I used "extortion" so if you have another meaning of extortion please enlighten me. I am not referring to the term extortion like everyone thinks about from the 20's where they threaten my life because im not paying my protection dues from my gumball machine but in context its similar

I suggest you review your contract with them. It does not appear they are "closing" your account. They are requesting a fee to cover processing fees associated with reloading relevant functions on a new server. Your account will still be "open", the internet link however will not function.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back