This is taking too long

Shadjes

Jurisdiction
Wisconsin
I was in an accident on Oct.6 2021. Vehicle was taken to the dealer that i purchased it from collision center. My vehicle is not done being repaired. The collision center tells me they are waiting on a part that is on back order. It is a seat belt retractor bracket. The collision center ordered this part a little over 2 months ago almost 3 months after they started the repairs. I stopped there March 16 2022 and checked on my vehicle. The door panels are still off, decals are not on the body and the battery is dead. I have been in a rental car since day one over $7,000 in rental fees. The other insurance company is reimbursing me but not until the contract gets closed out. Do i have any legal recourse? Thank you for your time

You have the option to have your car moved to another collision center. I'd discuss this with the paying insurance carrier.

But keep in mind. The new place may have as much trouble or more getting the part.

As long as the insurance company will reimburse you for the rental, there is no "legal" recourse and everybody is a victim to parts availability.

I once had a dealer tell me that a part would take two weeks to get. I called around to other dealer's and one of them had the part. My dealer got the part sent over that same day.

I suggest you get the part number from your shop and call every local dealer and see if one of them has one.

Also check non-local dealers and see if they'll ship to you if they have it.

The other alternative, is to call wrecking yards and see if they can pull a good one off another car. Then go buy it and take it to your dealer as long as there is no safety issue involved.

Otherwise, just wait it out and enjoy your rental

One if my friends had minor vandalism done to his vehicle and it took three months for the repair facility to get the part.

He was smart.
He didn't arrange an appointment until the body shop called to inform him the part had arrived.

It was a rear wiper assembly for his SUV.

The other alternative, is to call wrecking yards and see if they can pull a good one off another car. Then go buy it and take it to your dealer as long as there is no safety issue involved.
I was thinking along the same lines (an aftermarket or used replacement), but then realized we're talking about a seat belt retractor bracket. The dealer won't install that as a used or aftermarket item.

Back