This is it...

cynthiag

Well, the day has come, today is my 40-year anniversary with my employer and also my very last day of work. The thought of retirement is kind of a mixed bag for me - it's a mixture of excitement, a tinge of fear about a future that doesn't involve going to work every day, and a feeling of "how in the hell can I be old enough to retire?" :D

I've thoroughly enjoyed the time I've spent on this site, and thanks for some interesting reading over the years. I will definitely pop in from time to time to see what's going on!

Congratulations! And best wishes for this new chapter :)

Well, the day has come, today is my 40-year anniversary with my employer and also my very last day of work. The thought of retirement is kind of a mixed bag for me - it's a mixture of excitement, a tinge of fear about a future that doesn't involve going to work every day, and a feeling of "how in the hell can I be old enough to retire?" :D

I've thoroughly enjoyed the time I've spent on this site, and thanks for some interesting reading over the years. I will definitely pop in from time to time to see what's going on!

I retired four times.

The first time from the army after 35 years of service.

The second time as an adjunct faculty member at a law school.

The third time as a district court judge.

The fourth time from the law firm I founded, that my daughter administers today.

I never looked back.

My wife retired after 40 years teaching and as a principal of a high school.

Neither of us looked back.

I enjoy that each morning I awake, I'm totally in control of what I choose (more often don't choose) to do each day.

I rarely answer phone calls, respond in a timely manner to emails or texts.

We do only what we want to do, most days plenty of "nuttin".

There is nothing about retirement I dislike.

I remember earning $72 a month as a private E1 back in 1965.
To receive the fifty some odd dollars after taxes and other gubmint deductions I had to stand in a pay line for up to two hours, report to the pay officer at that.

Today all of my retirement loot is deposited into my checking account, often 72 hours before its scheduled date.

Retirement is one of the ten most wonderful things that happened to me.

I wish you a very happy, healthy, and prosperous retirement @cynthiag enjoy the coming years, you earned each and everyone.

By the way, this guy just became of one my 100 most admired people.

If I live to 97, I pray I'm in as good health as Mr. Bell.

70 years on the job for nation's longest-serving letter carrier

https://www.10news.com/news/national/mailman-celebrates-70-years-of-service-to-usps

Back