This is crazy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
MIMI24 said:
Is their anyway to stop a wage garnishment if u have been paying on the debt.

The only way one's wages could be attached, is that someone obtained a default judgment against you.

You should ask your employer to see the order that allows your wages to be attached, or find out what court ordered this travesty to occur.

One way to stop it is to appear in court before the judgment is made. Did you show up to show the judge that you have in fact been making payments?
If so, you are pretty much SOL...
If not, or if you were not served and given notice of the hearing, then you may be able to go back to the court and have the garnishments stopped.... IF you can show you are making regular payments.

Don't count on that though- if the debt is valid, you are likely stuck with the garnishment.

I am trying

I have been paying them. not alot though, the collection company called about three weeks ago

and told me they have been authorized to file judgement, and i was to be summons at my job. Well no one showed up got call yesterday saying the same the thing, asking me can i get a loan to pay them off, Can my kids father help which who doesnt help anyway. Telling me that my $25 dollars payment that I make is not enough. I will need to pay $172 dollars by the end of the month or they are gona continue withthe judgement. They called my job first instead of calling my cell number. WHAT CAN I DO?

They've given you a choice.

You either pay the debt according to their request or they'll go to court and get a judgment against you.

They are absolutely allowed to do that. They are not legally obliged to accept $25 payments if they want the whole lot.

They do not have a judgment against you yet. They are trying to scare you into paying more money.
Continue paying what you can afford.
If you should ever be served papers and ordered to court, be sure that you actually show up to explain your situation. They may still get the garnishment request, but you can limit the amount they are allowed to take.

As of now they are using scare tactics. Don't buy in to it.

MIMI24 said:
I have been paying them. not alot though, the collection company called about three weeks ago

and told me they have been authorized to file judgement, and i was to be summons at my job. Well no one showed up got call yesterday saying the same the thing, asking me can i get a loan to pay them off, Can my kids father help which who doesnt help anyway. Telling me that my $25 dollars payment that I make is not enough. I will need to pay $172 dollars by the end of the month or they are gona continue withthe judgement. They called my job first instead of calling my cell number. WHAT CAN I DO?

You can tell them not to call you on your job (if they've been doing that).

I'd change my home number and wouldn't give it to anyone.

I'd tell the phone company not to forward my calls and my new number would be unlisted.

I'd stop giving them any money.

The people you are paying aren't the ones you may have owed.

They are scumsucking debt collectors.

They bought an old debt for about 2-4 cents on the dollar.

You don't owe these creeps.

As others have said, they're legally extorting money from you using fear!!

I'd also stop responding to anything they send me.

You don't have to talk to them or answer their intrusive questions.

If they hounded my family, I'd ask them to tell them never to call or bother them about you again.

I absolutely and wholeheartedly agree with changing the phone number and going not just unlisted but unpublished too (there is a subtle difference evidently).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back