Property Invasion, Damages, Trespass This is a mess please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

derek8282

For starters, I have no idea what topic to put this under since it covers a wide range of charges and questions. For the last 6 months I rented an apartment and moved my girlfriend in. She's not on the lease and she's never paid a dime towards any of the bills. She has had all her stuff moved in with her however.

A few days ago I broke up with her for cheating on me (again). I told her to move out immediately and she refused because "her stuff was there." So I left, to cool off and to arrange help for moving out. I told her that I was informing the landlord that I was moving out so she had to move out too. But we still had two weeks left in which we could live there if I chose (I pay the rent on an every other week basis).

Later that night after things had been moved out, and on a whim, I went back to the apartment. I brought my friend as a witness to anything. I wanted to pick up utensils I had left….only to find that my key wasn't turning (she was holding the handle from the inside; buying time for her guy buddy to hide somewhere). We never lock the deadbolt either, and the door is kind of sticky anyways, so I put a little shoulder into it and the door flies open, breaking the door frame. I come inside; see the bed arrangement as well as marijuana strewn about on the table. I already suspected another man in my house and I run out the back door yelling for him to show himself. I opened doors and closets. Nothing (she had him hiding in the basement). While I'm out back my girlfriend tells my friend she's calling the police and orders us to leave. Stupidly my friend announced that he "had the gun" and we should leave (he has a permit and always carries). I agreed and left without grabbing anymore of my property. It's also worthy to note that she had broken into the apartment to get in. I have voicemails from her complaining about it.

At this point we had not really discussed when she would be moving out, but I'm sure not paying anything for her to party it up at my house when she's not even on the lease. I stopped by the morning after the incident to tell her if she wanted to live there she would have to negotiate with our landlord the cost of utilities because I'm not paying for this nonsense. I had turned in rent the morning before so technically there was 2 weeks left. But, in discussing it with my landlord he said I could have her out but he would also accept any arrangement we make. She won't hear any of it and tells me to leave. I do. And upon looking over my shoulder I noticed the rear tire on her truck was flat to the rim.

Oh, boy. Heres where things get ugly. I immediately registered the implications of this. Now, let's be clear. I care about her even though she's screwed me over a few times. I know that she's mentally ill and can't seem to cope with everyday life. She can't hold down a job, etc. I knew that I would be blamed for this flat, and I knew she would not be able to fix it and nobody would help her and she would lose her job if she missed another day of work. I caved in. I go back to the house and ask what happened to her tire. I told her I didn't do that. I told her she's going to lose her job if she doesn't get that fixed. I told her we should get it fixed right now. She became angry and refused, once again telling me leave my own home.

Later, however, she seems to calm down. We reach an agreement with our landlord that she could stay the two weeks and find out what she wants to do, with myself even agreeing to pay for the utilities on the condition there were to be no guests besides family and two of her close friends. I agreed to help her with her tire and let her keep the Wii and the cat. At this point things are perfectly calm. Until about 4 hours later I'm awakened by her phone call telling me "sorry about the picture I just sent it was an accident." I look at it and it's a picture of the first guy she had left me for IN MY KITCHEN posing in one of her hats. He has the same name as me so she meant to send it to him. I flip out. I take back my agreement with the landlord and race over there to see if he is still in my house (at this point I had moved much of my things into my parents' house). They left of course. I grab the rest of my things and go. No fixing damage I did not do, no Wii, no nothing for her and I ordered her out in two days. She made her own deal to pay utilities with the landlord to stay the next day however.

Now she is saying that if I don't pay her money to have her tire fixed by tomorrow she's filing a police report. She's saying that my friend and I kicked down the door, created a domestic disturbance, were carrying guns, physically abused her and then flattened her tire. She says the guy (hiding in the basement) heard everything (including my friends statement that "we got the gun lets go"). She also has witnesses from across the street, although what they saw is unknown to me. This is a complete fabrication and im pretty angry. My friend and I have no idea about this tire business. For all we know she flattened it herself. Here are my questions:

1. If a restraining order or police report is filed, what is the likelihood that I will be arrested for vandalism to the tire? Does she have enough probable cause? I was angry about a guy being there but not angry enough to flatten her tire. Complete fabrication.

2. What about the other charges? My friend has a permit and did not draw the gun out. I didn't touch her. Is it a domestic disturbance if it's my home and I believe I'm chasing unwelcome intruders from my home?

3. Since she has her things there and had lived there, despite not being on the lease or contributing to rent or anything else, was it legal for her to break in? Would these people, invited by her or not, be considered intruders?

4. Can I have MY gun taken away from me or a stoppage put to the concealed weapons permit I am trying to get? Can my friend get his gun and/or his permit taken away?

5. IF she files the report against both my friend and I would that mean we couldn't act as witnesses to each other's case?

6. Is there anything I can counter her with from this story? From the past I have some evidence of her physically abusing me in the past and she once broke my blackberry phone.

7. If I'm able to prove this is all untrue can I sue her for defamation?

8. If I were to agree with her and give her the money for the tire would that mean I'm placing myself under guilt and suspicion and assuming responsibility? How should I approach that end because I'm really worried about the probable cause factor here….should I get an agreement notarized I don't know how to fully protect myself with this.

9 As for the basement guy, well he's an unreliable witness because he has a medical marijuana card and brought it into my home? Thanks for reading!

question number 8 is what im going for. Unless im informed otherwise, meaning theres not enough probable cause and I cant get in trouble, I want a clean agreement with her. I just want it over with.

She's not on the lease and she's never paid a dime towards any of the bills.

Doesn't matter.

I told her to move out immediately and she refused because "her stuff was there."

She does not have to move at your request.

I told her that I was informing the landlord that I was moving out so she had to move out too.

Again, she does not have to move just because you are. She can stay if she wants. She is the landlord's problem, not yours... though you may have some liability if your landlord did not authorize the extra tenant.

...so I put a little shoulder into it and the door flies open, breaking the door frame.

You are responsible for repairs.

While I'm out back my girlfriend tells my friend she's calling the police and orders us to leave.

You did not have to leave. You live there.

Stupidly my friend announced that he "had the gun" and we should leave (he has a permit and always carries).

Not a problem if he was carrying legally.

It's also worthy to note that she had broken into the apartment to get in.

It is not illegal to break in to your own home. She is responsible for the repairs if she broke anything... though your breaking the door might have let her off the hook.

...but I'm sure not paying anything for her to party it up at my house when she's not even on the lease.

Give proper notice to your landlord and pay the rent until your lease expires. If you don't then your landlord might sue you. It does not matter that she is not on the lease- you signed the lease and promised to pay.

We reach an agreement with our landlord that she could stay the two weeks and find out what she wants to do, with myself even agreeing to pay for the utilities on the condition there were to be no guests besides family and two of her close friends.

If you didn't put any of this in writing then it means nothing. Your existing lease is still in effect. You need something from the landlord releasing you of liability.

...and I ordered her out in two days.

It would be nice of her to go, but she does not have to.

Now she is saying that if I don't pay her money to have her tire fixed by tomorrow she's filing a police report.

Don't worry. When the officer gets wind of all this drama he will lose interest fast. You two have a civil problem. A criminal report will go nowhere.

She's saying that my friend and I kicked down the door, created a domestic disturbance, were carrying guns, physically abused her and then flattened her tire. She says the guy (hiding in the basement) heard everything (including my friends statement that "we got the gun lets go"). She also has witnesses from across the street, although what they saw is unknown to me. This is a complete fabrication and im pretty angry. My friend and I have no idea about this tire business. For all we know she flattened it herself. Here are my questions:

She is full of hot air. Don't worry about her threats. Unless she is going to state that someone brandished and threatened her with the handgun then there is nothing to worry about. She will likely expose various inconsistencies if she tries to make this report.

1. If a restraining order or police report is filed, what is the likelihood that I will be arrested for vandalism to the tire? Does she have enough probable cause? I was angry about a guy being there but not angry enough to flatten her tire. Complete fabrication.

Unless there is some evidence that you actually slashed the tire it is highly unlikely you will be arrested. Again, with all this drama, nobody is going to pursue this very far.

2. What about the other charges? My friend has a permit and did not draw the gun out. I didn't touch her. Is it a domestic disturbance if it's my home and I believe I'm chasing unwelcome intruders from my home?

As you describe it, nothing criminal took place. You have a civil problem requiring an eviction or a restraining order. If what you say is true then don't worry about any criminal action, and don't worry about the police.

3. Since she has her things there and had lived there, despite not being on the lease or contributing to rent or anything else, was it legal for her to break in? Would these people, invited by her or not, be considered intruders?

Not illegal, and she is allowed to invite any guests she chooses.

4. Can I have MY gun taken away from me or a stoppage put to the concealed weapons permit I am trying to get? Can my friend get his gun and/or his permit taken away?

If she obtains a restraining order against you then you MIGHT have to surrender your firearms. Personally, I think you have an excellent chance of defending against a restraining order if she should pursue one. Just guessing- she doesn't sound like the type to pursue one. She is all talk... silly talk.

5. IF she files the report against both my friend and I would that mean we couldn't act as witnesses to each other's case?

It will never get to that. And anyway, no.

6. Is there anything I can counter her with from this story? From the past I have some evidence of her physically abusing me in the past and she once broke my blackberry phone.

If I were in your position I would be working with my landlord to have her evicted. She might technically be considered a subtenant under you, and you may also be able to seek eviction if the landlord will not. If she has struck you in the past, especially if recently, you might have grounds to seek a restraining order against her- and that order could potentially include a move out order.

7. If I'm able to prove this is all untrue can I sue her for defamation?

You aren't even close to that.

8. If I were to agree with her and give her the money for the tire would that mean I'm placing myself under guilt and suspicion and assuming responsibility? How should I approach that end because I'm really worried about the probable cause factor here….should I get an agreement notarized I don't know how to fully protect myself with this.

No, paying to fix the tire is not an admission of guilt. Personally, with all this drama, I can't imagine why you would want to do so.

9 As for the basement guy, well he's an unreliable witness because he has a medical marijuana card and brought it into my home? Thanks for reading!

Completely irrelevant.

Stay away from her.

Stop talking.

You can't prevent her from doing anything.

You need to know, you can't force her to leave the apartment.

If you want her out, you'd have to evict her.

I won't waste my time telling you why.

If you are arrested, remain silent.

Tell your pal, he should remain silent, too.

Plead not guilty, say nothing about ths foolish nonsense, nothing, nothing, nothing!!!!

Then, ask for a court appointed lawyer, then just shut up.

Ths goes for your buddy, too!!!

Fr the time being, forget about that damn gun permit and guns.

You two idiots shouldn't be carryng a squirt gun.

Read your posts.

Do you think people who behave like ths deserve to carry guns lawfully?

Dude, just stay away from her, it's over.

You won't be the last person to be the victim of cheating.

in the meantime, be patient, and stop talking.

If you're smart, admit to nothing, agree to nothing.

If you and your boy stick together and shut up, nobody will be able to pin anything on either of you!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back