They won't salt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedairyguy

I live in Akron, Ohio, and deliver newspapers in a trailer park near my home. This will be the fourth winter coming up, and I have a concern. I feel an accident is waiting to happen to me because they won't salt the roads in the trailer park. I have fallen several times over the past three winters because of icy conditions in the trailer park. The manager of the trailer park tells me that the owner says no salting is allowed. Now, since they won't allow salting, is he liable if I fall? Or do I need to address the situation with the owner. Do I ned to tell him a problem exists, and since I would tell him, is he liable then? Something needs to be done. Or could he go to the residents, and tell them he is raising their rent $10.00 a month, and it's because of my insistance on salt, and the threatened legal action?(You know,geting them to quit my paper in retaliation?) What are my options????
Worried in Akron

Now, since they won't allow salting, is he liable if I fall?
He being the manager? Maybe. But it's not his policy.
Or do I need to address the situation with the owner. Do I ned to tell him a problem exists, and since I would tell him, is he liable then?
Maybe. Or maybe you don't even need to tell him for him to be liable. The park probably has some duty to ensure people using its roads are reasonably safe. That probably involves making sure they're not dangerously icy during the winter. If they can't do that without salting the roads, then a no-salt policy is probably negligent.
Or could he go to the residents, and tell them he is raising their rent $10.00 a month, and it's because of my insistance on salt, and the threatened legal action?(You know,geting them to quit my paper in retaliation?)
He could certainly do this. The fact that his policy might turn out to be negligent does not mean he can't be a jerk and mobilize your customers against you if you try to get him to change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back