They took the money without a contract?

Letusfallup

Hello, so before we begin here is some vital information:

I'm seventeen years old
There was no contract signed (not even terms and service agreement)
I am not officially enrolled in anything

Okay, so the background. I have recently been in contact with a travel director for a year abroad language expedition. The company is EF. We have been discussing where I should go, and the plan has changed multiple times. She gave me a contract to sign, but I never did. However, I have paid 900 dollars into this trip. She took both payments via phone call. There have been no arrangements, and the trip on my EF account don't even match up to what we've discussed.

Recently, I have decided to switch my year abroad out with joining the military. I have asked to cancel my trip and the director has only replied to me once--asking if I was sure--and has since ignored my inquiries. I have been looking into a refund, and it turns out that this company is infamous for scamming people of hundreds to thousands of dollars for cancelling their trip!

I should have done more research on this company, I know, but can I get out of this situation now? The contract required that my parents sign it because I'm underage, and neither of my parents have verbally nor in written form consented to any payments. Could I save myself with the minor card?

Hello, so before we begin here is some vital information:

I'm seventeen years old
There was no contract signed (not even terms and service agreement)
I am not officially enrolled in anything

Okay, so the background. I have recently been in contact with a travel director for a year abroad language expedition. The company is EF. We have been discussing where I should go, and the plan has changed multiple times. She gave me a contract to sign, but I never did. However, I have paid 900 dollars into this trip. She took both payments via phone call. There have been no arrangements, and the trip on my EF account don't even match up to what we've discussed.

Recently, I have decided to switch my year abroad out with joining the military. I have asked to cancel my trip and the director has only replied to me once--asking if I was sure--and has since ignored my inquiries. I have been looking into a refund, and it turns out that this company is infamous for scamming people of hundreds to thousands of dollars for cancelling their trip!

I should have done more research on this company, I know, but can I get out of this situation now? The contract required that my parents sign it because I'm underage, and neither of my parents have verbally nor in written form consented to any payments. Could I save myself with the minor card?

You're a minor.
Legally you can't enter into contracts.
By all means its time to scream, "I'm a minor. I am unable to enter into contracts. Eenie Meanie MINOR mo, I'm a MINOR, you gotta let me go!!!!"

it turns out that this company is infamous for scamming people of hundreds to thousands of dollars for cancelling their trip!

Good lesson for when you grow up. Always investigate before handing over the money.

Could I save myself with the minor card?

Yes. And if

Eenie Meanie MINOR mo, I'm a MINOR, you gotta let me go!!!!"

doesn't get you your money back, you'll have to sue the company in small claims court.

Good lesson for when you grow up. Always investigate before handing over the money.

Yes. And if

doesn't get you your money back, you'll have to sue the company in small claims court.

Even a small claims lawsuit won't necessarily get you ANY money, even if you prevail.

I just wanted to use my "eenie minor mo" silliness.

Back