Quiet Enjoyment they babysitting grandkids, extremely disruptive children, can I file a complaint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

help2

I am a tenant who lives in low income Housing. I have a problem with a tenant neighbors of mine who is a grandma and every weekday from 8am-7pm babysitting her grandchildren.
I have reason to believe she babysitting because from Monday through Friday from 8am-7pm three kids are in her house. And when the mother/father come and pick them up, they walk straight to the directly of the housing parking lot. Obviously they are NOT resident in this housing complex.

And our housing complex have two playground and a basketball court. Each of our apartment, we have our own grass area and stairs. Her grandchildren who everyday in the morning refuse to play at their side of their apartments, but going through my side of apartment, my window, my stairs running up and down loudly. Screaming, also playing with rocks and throwing rocks around right outside MY apartment windows.
Please keep in mind, they also have their apartments windows, why not play at their side? Or why not go to a playground to play, but keep going to my area and play.
Not to mention those kids are not always supervise, sometimes grandma are cooking and doing other things and leave them running around.

Everyday I have to deal with crying, screaming, running of grandchildren who are NOT resident at where I live.
I find this to be unfair and I plan to file an offcial complaint on them. But the housing laws say grandparents are allow to have Guest in their house in the daytime. These children are here every weekday as her guest, and being disruptive to other neighbors.

I know landlord don't like complainer, but I have enough of this. I really want to file a complaint. So my question, as a tenant, do I have the rights to complaint against neighbors tenant who are having disruptive guest in her home 5 days a week, every week?

Sure, you can complain.

Don't expect anything to happen.

(I believe you were told this elsewhere, too)

Yes, I have. I would like to hear more of other people opinion since I get mix opinions on this issue.
We see there is nothing to happen or not after I file a complaint to the housing management.

You can complain.
Someone might listen.
I doubt someone will act.
You can move.
You aren't required to stay where you're uncomfortable.

I have already call the higher authorities and speak with them on Friday. They tell me to file a complaint now if I want, but I tell them that I would wait couple more days and see if the property manager do anything about this.
The management say that the grandma have the rights to have guest, but does that give her any rights to her guest bother any other tenants. It is clearly state in the lease that she suppoes to hold a peaceful environment to other people living here.
The management say once I file a complaint, the manager have no choice but to investigate and follow up to them. They say the manager can ignore me, but the manager will have to act on it when the higher authorities ask her too.
So on Monday, I will file an official complaint to the housing management.

And for those who thinks it is OK for the grandma to let those kids have rights to stay right outside one foot of my window screaming. That mean I can do the same thing to your house right? So everyday I go to your house running, screaming, throwing rock right outside your house window and let see if you can take that Monday to Friday.
I hope you understand the differences between having guest and having a guest who are disruptive. People can have others over their house that does means that they can bother others. Also this is not just about noise, this is also a liability issue, if those kids get hurt in the time the grandma did not supervise them, or do any damage to the housing property, then there will be a responsiblity issue here.

Oh please.

This is clearly not about the welfare and safety of the children. This is about you complaining about noise.

Let's call a spade a spade, shall we?

OK, If you want to talk about noise then let talk about noise.
May I ask you a question? So to you it is perfectly fine for a grandma to have 3 grandchildren every weekend running, screaming, playing with rocks, jump up and down your apart stair everyday. So that means if this same thing happened to you, the children are outside 1 foot of your window having their chasing game every morning and throwing rocks around, you fine with that right?
Please answer my question. I honestly don't think you feeling comfortable if this happened to you especially there are 2 playgrounds for them to go there to have their chasing game.
This is not about guest, this is about I ask those children to go to "THEIR" apartment to play. There is a choice here, they have their own stair, their own tree, also playgrounds and basketball court to play. SO there is a "CHOICE" elsewhelse all this screaming can be done instead of outside my window.
Can I do the same thing that those kids do outside your window Miss. Proserphina?

Do you understand that I'm a grandparent, and I have young kids living right next door and directly across the street?

Kids are noisy. It's part of being a kid.

Check your attitude at the door please, and complain about the noise to management. Expect nothing to happen.

Typo, every weekday, this is a constantly thing happen daily from Monday to Friday.
I thought there are laws when it come to people who come near your house within an amount number of feet.
Not to mentioned they are 1 foot outside my window, this is too much.
Ask yourself the question if every morning you wake up from screaming of kids, and you look right outside your room window you saw 3 kids chasing each others around.

I do not have an attitude with you, I just ask you how do you feel if this were happen to you, and if you OK with that then that is your problem. But you is you, others is others. Don't expect everyone living by the same standard as you do.

I will complaint to the management, we will see who is right on this issue.

Last edited:
There are absolutely no laws saying that a random person can't come right up to your window.

There are absolutely no laws saying that a random person can't come right up to your window.

Actually, there are laws ("Peeping Tom" statutes) but that wouldn't apply here if there is a public yard where anyone can play. From what I have heard, the only way you can prevent the children from screaming/playing is if:

(a) they don't have a right to be on your side of the complex;

(b) the kids are making more than what would be considered reasonably expected noise from children playing in a park.

If there is a hallway and kids are playing in the "common areas" of the complex which are merely supposed to be for passage but not children playing, you may have a point. What will be done about it? Tough question to answer. There are a couple of ways to try to handle it but you might as well determine if any of the above apply. My guess is, especially after reading the other posts, is that they are right and that you're probably sensitive to something you don't like but might not be able to shut down. Best of luck.

Thank you

They are not tenant in my unit, they are tenant from a unit across of mine. If they were playing with rocks or making noise in their unit, I have no problem. But they are playing with rock and making noise on my unit.

I have reason to believe that throwing big rocks around can cause damage to the housing property, as well as hurting any other children who be walking around in the same area. Including noise and disruptive as well. This is enough for me to file a complaint especially they are NOT resident here and do not live in my unit.

Thank you

They are not tenant in my unit, they are tenant from a unit across of mine. If they were playing with rocks or making noise in their unit, I have no problem. But they are playing with rock and making noise on my unit.

I have reason to believe that throwing big rocks around can cause damage to the housing property, as well as hurting any other children who be walking around in the same area. Including noise and disruptive as well. This is enough for me to file a complaint especially they are NOT resident here and do not live in my unit.

If someone, even a child, were to throw a rock through your window; there is a remedy.
You are free to call "911" and ask for the police to investigate the matter.
If anyone, including children, are disturbing the peace, call the police.
But, the police will ask you to sign a complaint.
If the police did not see the window broken, they have no suspects to pursue.
If the police do not observe a disturbance in progress, they have no one to investigate.
So, if any law is being broken and you have knowledge of a crime (or suspicious behavior), report that to your local police.
But, be advised, the police become rather cranky if you persist in making nuisance calls.

Thank you for everyone advice, but I will make an official complaint on Monday through the housing management on grandchildren who are not resident in the units, but on a daily basic use the property water, gas, not to mention if there any damage or tearing they can done to the property including throwing rocks around in someone else units.

This thread can be close or deleted if the admin want, a complaint will be file, and we see what will happened when they investigate and find out those children do not resident here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back