Theme Park Not Giving Proper Breaks and Keeping Minors Overtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

wynter

I work at a water park that is only open during the summer, so the employees are largely minors or just recently of legal age. The management is having 'difficulties' and has left scheduling to an incomptent manager, resulting in being drastically shorthanded at all times. Because of this shorthandedness they are skipping our breaks and working us overtime. I believe the law in California says we should all get one ten minute break, a thirty minute lunch and another ten minute break in one eight hour shift; and that minors cannot work overtime at all.

Currently we are getting one thirty minute break in an eight hour shift, and everyone, including minors, is working small amounts of overtime almost daily ( 15-45 minutes) because the managers don't get people to replace them until too late. All of our sign in sheets have a box at the bottom saying by law we must get our breaks and overtime rules, and other laws. The sign in sheets require us to write down all of our breaks, and our clockin and out times; there are spaces for many signature of higher authorities (different levels of bosses). I assume these people sign the sheets in order for us to be paid,:D and it clearly shows us not getting our breaks.

I have heard by word of mouth that the legal punishment for this is one hour's worth of pay per break missed, if it is reported and investigated. Is this true? If I report them will they have to know it is me? What other repercussions are there?

Thank you very much for your helpful forums here.

Contact the Department of Labor http://www.dol.gov/ and file a complaint. Also the laws are there for you. I don't know if you can report anonymously or not but how would you get back pay owed if you do? They need to know names to actually look at the time sheets to see what is owed. Have you brought this to the attention of the managers? It is considered the employees responsibility to report what you posted so the people have an opportunity to fix it. You can do that anonymously and see what happens.

The US DOL will not enforce CA laws on breaks or on hours for minors. Any complaints would need to be filed at the state level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back