Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft theft

Status
Not open for further replies.

memphis1964

I found a pocketbook in a basket at a store outside the store. I took the money out of it and took the pocketbook back in the store and put it on a shelf. They got my picture and charge me with theft.

I think what you did is morally wrong but I never have understood why a DA thinks it is a crime. A wallet left in a public place is abandoned property. You should return it to the rightful owner with the money in it. You also should NOT be admitting on this board that you took the money. Hush about what you did and get an attorney to beat the charge.

If it is your first court date it is an arraignment. Go, plead NOT GUILTY and tell the Judge you need time to either hire an attorney or to get one appointed to you. That's it. Go get an attorney, you need one badly. Good luck, but I encourage you to develop a conscience.

I don't mean to make light of this persons situation but yoyr reply cracked me up! (You do? Thanks for sharing)

Last edited:
I don't know how Arizona law is written on the matter, but in California you could be charged with theft in this same situation IF the pocketbook contained information identifying the owner. You can not take the property as your own without making a reasonable effort to return the property. Chances are that this pocketbook had various forms of ID inside.

What you did was wrong,,,,but, it wasn't the crime of the century. The DA doesn't have a great interest in your crime. Make sure full restitution is made, apologize and ask for a delayed hearing to prove to the court you can be a solid citizen for a years period. I suspect the charges would be dropped or greatly reduced.

I think this "delayed hearing" thing might be unique to Arkansas, perhaps some other states. This never happens in Michigan, for example, as far as I know. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back