Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Theft/Mal. Destruction of Prop. - Help w drop charges or advice for next steps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

charmcitysw

This case occurred in Baltimore city.
1. I previously worked at a bar where I was a hostess. I was closing up for then night planning on spending the night with a friend, so I took a zolpidem (Ambien) because I'd had trouble sleeping and was planning on going straight home.
2. However, I stayed behind for a few drinks and to the best of my knowledge left shortly after and took a cab to my friend's, which he can attest to.
3. The following morning going into work, I was taken aside and told that I was being asked to leave.
4. One of the restaurant managers leaves her keys by the hostess stand and I was allegedly to have taken her car and hit pole in the parking garage, but the was not missing and the owner, my former manager, discussed with me on Sat, Nov 13 that this can be taking care of if I pay for her car's damages.

I have no recollection of this at all, but do know that they have cameras in the garage where her car was parked, but still have never seen her car or what would have led me to take it and bring it back?

5. The next day I cam back and was fired from my position. I was so unclear about what going on and people telling different things. I was able to talk to the rest. manager and she told me she could drop charges if I paid for the full car to be fixed, so I send her a check for a little over $3,100.
Yet, I also know that the criminal charges are crimes against state and it is difficult to do without a complaining victim, but I guess I have a couple questions:

-What should I be doing RIGHT now?
-Should I look for a P.D. or are there any affordable options? (I am in Masters for Social Work and I live on the bare minimums, if anyone has any idea as to how to get representation that woun't screw me over, that would be fantastic.
-Any one know about the possibilities or nol pross, PBJ, or other alternative to sentencing.
-Should I be talking to the witness? Is there anything I can get her to say to the police officer who took the report so that he will drop charges?

I know I made a mistake, but coming out of 6 years of school with a criminal background is not exactly the greatest thing that I could be experiencing this holiday..

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
[/LIST]
These are the pending charges:
Each Charge is listed separately. The disposition is listed below the Charge)
Charge No: 001 Description:MOTOR VEH/UNLAWFUL TAKING
Statute" CR.7.105 Description:MOTOR VEH/UNLAWFUL TAKING
Amended Date: CJIS Code:2 0480 MO/PLL:probable Cause:X
Incident Date From: 11/13/2010 To: 11/13/2010

Charge No: 002 Description:UNAUTH REMOVAL OF PROP
Statute:CR.7.203 Description:UNAUTH REMOVAL OF PROP
Amended Date: CJIS Code:2 2411 MO/PLL:probable Cause:X

Charge No: 003 Description:THEFT: $1,000 TO UNDER $10,000
Statute: Description:
Amended Date: CJIS Code:1 0622MO/PLL: Probable Cause:X

Charge No: 004 Description:MAL DESTR PROP VALUE + $500
Statute:CR.6.301 Description:MAL DESTR PROP VALUE + $500
Amended Date: CJIS Code:3 4030MO/PLL:probable Cause:X
Incident Date From: 11/13/2010 To: 11/13/2010 Victim Age:

This case occurred in Baltimore city.
1. I previously worked at a bar where I was a hostess. I was closing up for then night planning on spending the night with a friend, so I took a zolpidem (Ambien) because I'd had trouble sleeping and was planning on going straight home.
2. However, I stayed behind for a few drinks and to the best of my knowledge left shortly after and took a cab to my friend's, which he can attest to.
3. The following morning going into work, I was taken aside and told that I was being asked to leave.
4. One of the restaurant managers leaves her keys by the hostess stand and I was allegedly to have taken her car and hit pole in the parking garage, but the was not missing and the owner, my former manager, discussed with me on Sat, Nov 13 that this can be taking care of if I pay for her car's damages.

I have no recollection of this at all, but do know that they have cameras in the garage where her car was parked, but still have never seen her car or what would have led me to take it and bring it back?

5. The next day I cam back and was fired from my position. I was so unclear about what going on and people telling different things. I was able to talk to the rest. manager and she told me she could drop charges if I paid for the full car to be fixed, so I send her a check for a little over $3,100.
Yet, I also know that the criminal charges are crimes against state and it is difficult to do without a complaining victim, but I guess I have a couple questions:

-What should I be doing RIGHT now?
-Should I look for a P.D. or are there any affordable options? (I am in Masters for Social Work and I live on the bare minimums, if anyone has any idea as to how to get representation that woun't screw me over, that would be fantastic.
-Any one know about the possibilities or nol pross, PBJ, or other alternative to sentencing.
-Should I be talking to the witness? Is there anything I can get her to say to the police officer who took the report so that he will drop charges?

I know I made a mistake, but coming out of 6 years of school with a criminal background is not exactly the greatest thing that I could be experiencing this holiday..

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
[/LIST]
These are the pending charges:
Each Charge is listed separately. The disposition is listed below the Charge)
Charge No: 001 Description:MOTOR VEH/UNLAWFUL TAKING
Statute" CR.7.105 Description:MOTOR VEH/UNLAWFUL TAKING
Amended Date: CJIS Code:2 0480 MO/PLL:probable Cause:X

Charge No: 002 Description:UNAUTH REMOVAL OF PROP
Statute:CR.7.203 Description:UNAUTH REMOVAL OF PROP
Amended Date: CJIS Code:2 2411 MO/PLL:probable Cause:X

Charge No: 003 Description:THEFT: $1,000 TO UNDER $10,000
Statute: Description:
Amended Date: CJIS Code:1 0622MO/PLL: Probable Cause:X

Charge No: 004 Description:MAL DESTR PROP VALUE + $500
Statute:CR.6.301 Description:MAL DESTR PROP VALUE + $500
Amended Date: CJIS Code:3 4030MO/PLL:probable Cause:X
Incident Date From: 11/13/2010 To: 11/13/2010 Victim Age:

Never admit to anything.
You screwed up, big time.
You're out $3,100, and still facing CRIMINAL charges.

Damn right you need a lawyer.
From this point forward, you deny everything.
You deny that you admitted to damaging the car.
I'll bet you were SCARED STRAIGHT, and those POWERFUL BOSSES frightened and intimidated you into paying them $3,100.
Hell, they ROBBED you!
You're just a hard working student, who didn't want trouble that THEY threatened to make for you.
For all you KNOW, that "crooked cow" damaged her own car and blamed it on you!

Are you starting to see the pattern here?
You're the REAL victim.
They intimidated and bullied you into giving them $3,000.
That's what is the law calls EXTORTION, even in Maryland!

http://www.uslaw.com/library/Ethics/Lawyers_demand_letter_criminal_extortion.php?item=91735

Extortion is a unique type of crime that occurs when someone; through threats or actions of bodily harm, wrongful accusations or threats or destruction of property, causes the threatened or harmed person to provide money, goods or services. In other words extortion occurs when someone manipulates; through fear or threats or actual actions, another to get materials, money or services without cost. Bribery, ransom and blackmail can all be considered components of extortion.

Extortion Penalties
There are several different possible options for penalties when there are extortion charges. In most jurisdictions there is combination of both jail time as well as fines, however depending on the level of extortion and if violence did occur there can be much more significant penalties imposed.

Possible Penalties

•Jail time of up to 4 years or more
•Probation
•Restitution
•Fines that may exceed $10,000
•Community Service
Extortion Sentencing
It can be difficult to prove extortion, blackmail or bribery without actual video or audio evidence, and sometimes even if these items are present it can be challenging. Often the courts will consider the amount of extortion in the monetary sense as well as any prior convictions or criminal history the accused may have. An attorney can work with the courts to have the dismissed if there is little evidence, or they may also be able to work with the courts to develop a course of action that includes community service, victim restitution or fines rather than jail time.

http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/crime-penalties/federal/Extortion.htm

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
Just wanted to clarify 2 things, first, unfortunately for me pleading that my manager did this to her car herself, there is video surveillance in the parking garage where this occurred.

Secondly, I am a student and already out $3,100 .. so finding a lawyer is going to be quite difficult as I really don't have the money to shell out. Do you recommend a public defender?

Are there any attorneys that offer reduced rates/what is the realistic price I would be looking at for a criminal defense attorney at the minimum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back