Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Theft $25,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

anonimos

A family member of mine was recently charged with theft of $25,000. When confronted by the police she asked for a plea bargain and they said they would give her one but would put nothing in writing. They put her in the back of a police car (to record her is my assumption) and from what i understand she confessed in so many words. Now she didn't sign anything, and the officer told her that since she cooperated she could go but to be expecting a call within the next few weeks stating they had issued a warrant. After she receives the call she is to go down to the police station and turn herself in. My question is what are the odds the officer will honor the plea bargain? Also what kind of sentencing shes looking at if the officer was simply bluffing?

But does he have to honor what he said if its on film, also wasn't just the officer saying she would get an easier sentence, representative of the company said same thing. And if they don't honor it any idea on what type of sentencing were looking at seeing as this is her first offensive of any kind, (including traffic violations)?

The police may let the DA know that you were helpful in the investigation and generally the DA will consider such matters when preparing a charge. After all, you are supposed to be able to trust police. However, the DA has no obligation to do anything. I must agree with the above respondent,,,,,,the police have no power to bargain and you should have lawyered up and kept your mouth shut.

I would think the ability to make restitution will come into play. I know of a woman who did something similiar with embezzlement, was convicted of a felony, but got 5 years probation plus a HUGE amount of community service.

When arrested keep your mouth shut till you have an attorney. Period.

Okay and is there a difference in a charge between theft of $25,000 and embezzlement of $25,000 or is it pretty much the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back