The wrong VIN is titled and registered in my name

Sharihan

Jurisdiction
Wisconsin
I financed a car on July 9, 2019. On that same day, the dealership noticed their error and they called me to come back in to resign all the paperwork with the correct VIN. On July 22, 2019, I received in the mail the title and registration from the state with the wrong VIN - according to the title and registration, the dealership registered the wrong VIN on July 18, 2019. How could they make the same mistake twice? Anyway, I called the dealership on July 23, 2019 to bring it to their attention. They told me that their title clerk will get on it and resubmit the title with the correct VIN to the state. Three weeks went by and I hadn't yet received the title and registration with the correct VIN. I decided to contact the state. The state informed me that they hadn't received anything from the dealership regarding correcting the title with the correct VIN on the title and registration. On August 16, 2019, I went down to the dealership. The manager went on his computer, and he couldn't find any notations about the wrong VIN having been registered to the state, nor having to resubmit the title to the state with the correct VIN. He then told me that he'll be informing their title clerk the following morning. In the meantime, the car that is titled and registered in my name was being bounced around for sale on several different dealerships' websites. I know this because I googled the VIN. It is now August 29, 2019, and I still haven't received the title and registration with the correct VIN. It has been well over thirty days, and the car that I never took possession of is still registered in my name, and the car that I did bring home from the dealership doesn't exist in my state's DOT system. Everyday I go on my state's DOT website to check the status of the VIN numbers. This is very frustrating. I am driving a car that doesn't exist in my state's DOT system. And, there is a car that is currently titled and registered in my name that is listed for sale on another dealership's website. How is this even possible? What's going on here?

You have a purchase contract with the VIN that matches your car, right?

I suggest you take the contract, any other papers from the sale, and the car down to the nearest DOT office and personally find out what to do about.

The dealer doesn't care. He's already got his money. Self preservation is nobody's business but your own.

Back