The Tennessee School Bus Crash - (Help with Homework)

P

pgruhn

Jurisdiction
Tennessee
Hello my name is Paul, I am taking a Law class at the Univ. of Bridgeport working on an EdD in Education Leadership. We have to come up with a case and do a write up on it. This is within the context of education. I am not a law student, nor do I desire to become one. I just need help with a paper.

Last week the horrible school bus crash in Tennessee happened. I ask if I could use this for a case study. Prof said, 'Yes'

1) What Constitutional Laws apply to this incident?

2) Who might be taking who to court? Under what legal reasons?

3) Who is liable? The driver? The Bus Company? The School district?

4) What cases might I use to support some of the above?

5) Where does seat belt law in school buses fit in?

6) What other issues or topics might I consider?

Thank you anyone for some input. I have a week to write my paper.

Paul

Thank you anyone for some input. I have a week to write my paper.

I recently had a long, satisfying conversation with a student about a paper she was writing and I have no objection helping you with your assignment.

However, we are going to rely on the old saying:

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach him how to fish and he eats for a lifetime.

I am about to teach you how to fish.

1) What Constitutional Laws apply to this incident?

I'll give you that fish because it should be obvious that the driver has a 5th Amendment right against self incrimination. If you limit yourself to a discussion of negligence you need not address that issue.

2) Who might be taking who to court? Under what legal reasons?

3) Who is liable? The driver? The Bus Company? The School district?

The driver has been charged with a crime but those questions imply that you might want to limit your assignment to the negligence angle.

Google "negligence." There are many resources. Read some. Then come back with your answers to those questions and I will tell you if you are right or point you in other directions.

4) What cases might I use to support some of the above?

Too early to address that. Work on 2 and 3 first. You might not need any case citations.

5) Where does seat belt law in school buses fit in?

The Tennessee seat belt law is at:

2015 Tennessee Code :: Title 55 - Motor and Other Vehicles :: Chapter 9 - Equipment -- Lighting Regulations :: Part 6 - Safety Belts

Read it. Then you tell me where the seat belt law might or might not apply.

6) What other issues or topics might I consider?

Too early for that, too. Work on 2, 3, and 5.

Come back to this thread with a summary of what you learn.

So thank you for pointing me in a direction. this gets me started. I will respond with my findings. I totally understand about giving a man a fish, vs. teaching him to fish ... I am at the "I would rather go through the drive thru" at this stage. I will do research on what you have shared. - Thx. Paul

"I would rather go through the drive thru" at this stage.

I'm sure many students seeking any degree would prefer such an approach.

However, we know that universities and colleges discourage buying term papers, for example, or even law school briefs.

I have no dog in this event, but I did observe "adjuster jack's" willingness to to assist another poster in a position similar to yours.

From my seat over here in the peanut gallery, it was most beneficial to both parties.

I've learned in my decades of life on this planet, that the amount of effort one expends to achieve any goal, is rewarded exponentially with a warm feeling of success upon one's attaining that goal.

The title of your post indicates you are seeking "help", unlike the "help" Tom sawyer sought. :D

Good luck as you pursue that Ed.D., OP.

Thank you all ... point well taken ... I have found some interesting cases which will serve my purpose.

Back