The previous owners didn't title or pay taxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keledae

My brother and his new wife just bought a car. Privately. They paid cash and received the title. When they took the title to the DMV, they were told that the previous two owners never paid taxes on the car or had it legally titled.

Now, they can't drive their new car, unless they pay to have the title brought up to date. They tried to get a hold of the previous owners, but they have shut off their phone.

Is there anything they can do, to make their car legal without having to pay off the taxes of two previous owners?

My brother and his new wife just bought a car. Privately. They paid cash and received the title. When they took the title to the DMV, they were told that the previous two owners never paid taxes on the car or had it legally titled.

Now, they can't drive their new car, unless they pay to have the title brought up to date. They tried to get a hold of the previous owners, but they have shut off their phone.

Is there anything they can do, to make their car legal without having to pay off the taxes of two previous owners?

They could pay the back taxes, or negotiate with the state to lower the amounts.

They could try and sue the previous owners.

That won't help them very quickly.

They could get the car registered, titled, and licensed in another state.

They could gift it to a trusted relative or friend in another state.
They do have a title in Illinois.
For example, the friend could register and title it in Michigan (any state).
Then when the Michigan documents arrive, the friend/relative could gift the car back to them.
They now have a Michigan title that they take to Illinois and register and title it there.

Its a long way around, but its legal.
It avoids paying what someone else owes.
They get it done quicker than suing anyone.
It is also a sure bet.

Last edited:
this is her brother

I have a missouri tittle that was filled out and signed by the seller in 08 but never signed by the buyer.

how do i gift the car to someone? should i be able to go to a car title business as apposed to the dmv directly and get this car titled?

this is her brother

I have a missouri tittle that was filled out and signed by the seller in 08 but never signed by the buyer.

how do i gift the car to someone? should i be able to go to a car title business as apposed to the dmv directly and get this car titled?

If its signed off by the previous owner, anyone can sign it as buyer.
You simply sign as buyer and go to a dmv office or agency and say you want to give the car to Joe Jones.
Take Joe Jones with you.
They;ll give you the paperwork.
You can get the paperwork online, I think.
Then take it in and pay a small fee, its done.

there is transfer form that you need to execute for the gift to happen.
It also has to be notarized, but they'll do it for you at their office.
The transfer fee is about $25.
You get the new title in the mail.
They might just do it there, since they've computerized this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back