Jurisdiction
Other
Parents and teachers warned not to ridicule schoolkids who identify as animals

newspress-collage-22801958-1687629820176.jpg

0da0bb80-3553-46d4-b635-487c8cb5ebb3.jpg

Screenshot_20230626-084354_Opera.png

Screenshot_20230626-084524_Opera.png
Author's note:
Hmmm, (・;) sounds a great deal like someone is "grooming" impressionable, young children.

I wonder why.

<==================================================>

TEACHERS and parents have been warned not to ridicule or over-react to schoolkids identifying as Furries – people with an active interest in animal characters with human characteristics.

A Government-backed safeguarding group says children dressing up in furry costumes need to "feel comfortable expressing themselves".

The Safer Schools initiative says teachers and parents should be on the lookout for students taking up "fursonas", or personalised animal characters, and dressing in fur suits in a bizarre trend that started in the States.

Safer Schools, a respected safe-guarding body, shares tips on its website including approaching the child's interest with "no judgment" and showing "understanding".

"What you should not do is overreact or ridicule," it says.

"If a child or young person in your care begins to show an interest in joining any community, be it online or off, how you approach and handle any related conversations is crucial.

"It is important to build a safe environment for them based on trust, where they feel comfortable expressing themselves to you."

The body is urging parents to familiarise themselves with the Furry community so they can communicate with their child.

It adds: "The Furry community is a complex one, made up of many different identities and definitions of what it means to be a 'furry'."

Safer Schools has had government funding for the development of its apps, works closely with a number of local authorities and trains teachers on safeguarding.

It makes clear it is not promoting Furries, but highlighting the risks. Boss Jim Gamble, who ran the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Command until 2010, told The Sun on Sunday: "We try to provide information that helps parents and teachers so they can engage with their children in a way that makes sense.

"We are most definitely not promoting Furries or the issues associated with it.

"What we are doing is providing advice on fandom and cosplay."

Mr Gamble insists his organisation has seen no evidence of Furries in any school he deals with and believes the vast majority of cases are hoaxes.

But he said: "Educating and empowering parents so they are able to deal with this is really important. We make it very clear there are significant risks.

"Our advice is there to allow parents to have a sensible and sensitive conversation with their child and highlight risks."

Mr Gamble said the Government needs to introduce national guidelines for schools on identity issues.

But he added: "By over-reacting and over-magnifying the issue we feed an unhealthy curiosity.

"At the end of the day a human being is not a cat."

Sir John Hayes, chairman of the Common Sense Group of Tory MPs, said: "This idea that we can all choose to be anything we want to be — so I can choose to be a giant, or you can choose to be a flying creature — is preposterous nonsense.

"Do we really need guidance on this?

"I dressed up — as a little boy — in various costumes and so did my children.

"Role play is an important part of children's learning. But it is exactly that, role play. It's not about their fundamental identity."

Former teacher Liz Arnold, 49, said that in her 20-year career she had one child identify as a cat.

She said: "Because it was a very young child, other pupils simply accepted it. It wasn't an issue.

"So I question the need for intricate guidance for families and teachers."

This week it emerged schools are allowing kids to identify as cats, horses and dinosaurs in class, and teachers are doing little to question such behaviour.

And there was outrage when a 13-year-old was branded "despicable" by a teacher at Rye College in East Sussex for rejecting a classmate's claim she identified as a cat.

Education Secretary Gillian Keegan has ordered a probe into the incident.

Education reformer Katharine Birbalsingh, founder of the Michaela School in West London, said she knew of a school pupil who identifies as a gay male hologram.

A Department for Education spokesman said: "It is completely inappropriate for schools to treat a pupil as an animal or inanimate object and it is important parents are able to raise concerns with schools and that schools engage seriously."

FURRIES are people who have an active interest in anthropomorphism, or giving human characteristics to animals.

The characters are often made up by the community members themselves, who create an avatar known as a "fursona".

A fursona interacts with others in the community via role-playing and art.

Some Furries make colourful costumes for their characters called "fursuits" and usually wear them in a public forum, either in person or online.

Those in the community see being a Furry as a safe, functional way to explore who you are as a person, including gender identity and sexual orientation.

The Furry community holds worldwide conventions and "meets" where Furries can have real-life encounters.

Parents and teachers warned not to ridicule schoolkids who identify as animals

My dog read that and told me he identifies as a man so I have to treat him as one from now on.

I said "OK, get a job and pay rent."

He shrugged and went back to licking his privates.

:D

This is a fad, like hula hoops, chia pets, cabbage patch dolls, etc. It'll pass. Giving it attention only makes it worse.

I can think of no circumstances where it WOULD be appropriate for a teacher to ridicule a child. Is that really considered appropriate behavior for anyone to anyone?

I can think of no circumstances where it WOULD be appropriate for a teacher to ridicule a child. Is that really considered appropriate behavior for anyone to anyone?

I was fortunate to have been taught by many excellent teachers, during my childhood years.

I can't recall any teacher ridicule a fellow student.

I've observed teachers chastising students who misbehaved.

In fact, I observed several students during my elementary school days receiving a lecture or two from Principal Denby's aptly named "Board of Education".

The issue of "furries" and some children identifying as a wallaby, lemur, kitten, puppy, piglet, bear, rabbit, or any other nonhuman critter should be addressed cautiously, privately, by child psychiatrists or child psychologists with the support and approval of the child's parents/guardians.

I served with a soldier in Nam who developed delusions that his body was inhabited by General Ulysses Grant. The soldier wasn't abused or ridiculed, but his delusional behavior was addressed by the proper medical personnel. He was eventually medically evacuated to a naval hospital facility in the Philippines.

ISTM that there would be ways to combat the issue via dress codes. All schools have them.

The Furries did it.

Those darn Furries even admitted doing it.

Hackers are taking credit for breaching a government website in Texas on Friday in retaliation for the state's stance on gender-affirming care.

In a post on Telegram, the hacker group, known as SiegedSec, claimed it stole roughly 500,000 files from a website affliated with the city of Forth Worth.

"We have decided to make a message towards the U.S government," the group wrote. "Texas happens to be one of the largest states banning gender affirming care and for that, we have made Texas our target. Fuck the government."

Among the files, which the hackers have made available for download, include work orders, employee lists, invoices, police reports, emails, and internal documents.

In a statement on the matter, city officials confirmed the breach but said it had affected an internal system used to track work orders and not the website for the city, according to Fox 4 Dallas.

Kevin Gunn, Fort Worth's IT Solutions Director, asserted during a news conference on Saturday that none of the information taken by SiegedSec is considered sensitive.

"Those attachments include things like photographs, spreadsheets, invoices for work performed, PDF documents, emails between staff, and other information related to work orders," Gunn said. "No indication that any other systems were accessed, nor any other evidence of sensitive information such as social security or banking information was accessed or released."

SiegedSec claims that it was able to gain access to the system after obtaining login credentials from a city employee. The Daily Dot attempted to reach SiegedSec over email but did not receive a reply by press time.

The hack comes just weeks after Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) signed a bill banning transgender youth from accessing gender-affirming care.

SiegedSec also carried out similar attacks against local governments in Arkansas and Kentucky last year in response to the overturning of Roe v. Wade.

It's unclear why Fort Worth specifically may have been targeted.

Update 10:17am CT, June 27: In a statement to the Daily Dot, YourAnonWolf, a prominent member of the hacking group, said that Fort Worth was just one local government of many that it intends to target.

"We targeted Fort Worth mostly because it was a vulnerable target in a list we had, we were checking any government domain associated with Texas," the hacker said. "This is the start of a campaign against all states banning gender-affirming care, we have a few more attacks planned soon."

Hackers target Texas, leak data in response to state law on gender-affirming care

ISTM that there would be ways to combat the issue via dress codes. All schools have them.

Not all schools have them. There are some that don't because the manner of dress of the students never caused outrage in school or the community so the issue of dress codes just never came up. In public schools that have them, the dress codes tend to be pretty minimal unless some incident has happened that focuses on the issue of student appearance. How one dresses is one way to express an opinion or viewpoint, and as a result the Constitution's First Amendment right of free speech limits the extent to which public schools may regulate what the student's wear.

While I certainly hope it is a fad it is one that has grown out of the whole people can identify however they like thing.

Limiting my response to just the furries, people have been identifying themselves with animals, birds, fish, for thousands of years.

I find it amusing that people are over reacting to the furries phenomenon today.

We ought to be more concerned with the guy, a few weeks ago, who claimed to be Jesus Christ. That's the kind of mental illness that can result in mass murder. (Jim Jones ring a bell?)

Back