Breaking a Lease The 40 yr old neighbor from Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

fedupinwelland

Hi: I'm living next door to the neighbor from hell! Ever since I moved into the apt building on June 30. My neighbor has kept me awake at night. He continues banging and slamming things against my wall at night; Stomping around, slamming doors. . He's 40; doesn't work and spends the rest of his time doing crosswords.
My Landlords have been told repeatedly; Yet they refuse to take any action against him because as the landlord puts it " this is my neighbos chosen lifestyle."
I unfortunately signed a 1 year lease when I moved in. Needless to say I want out!

Personal details are NOT allowed, especially the personal details of OTHER people.
Please, don't do that!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest you speak with your landlord about the alleged behavior of your neighbor.
If ANYONE is disturbing the peace, causing a ruckus at INAPPROPRIATE hours, call the police.
They will investigate.

As far as your lease, read it.
Nothing you've posted will allow you to break the lease WITHOUT paying a fee.
Read the lease to determine what the fee costs. or speak with your landlord or property manager.
Of course, you are FREE to speak with a local attorney to determine IF there are other remedies available to you!

I don't understand what you expect the landlord to do that you cannot do yourself. You live there so you are the one experiencing the neighbor's noise not your landlord so you need to call the police or speak to the person directly or, if he is a renter, speak to his landlord.

Do you live in Ontario, California or Ontario, Canada?

If Canada, please be advised that US and Canadian law are not the same and we have no experts in Canadian law here.

I don't understand what you expect the landlord to do that you cannot do yourself. You live there so you are the one experiencing the neighbor's noise not your landlord so you need to call the police or speak to the person directly or, if he is a renter, speak to his landlord.

I do NOT recommend confronting the person directly.

Think about it.

Do you live in Ontario, California or Ontario, Canada?

If Canada, please be advised that US and Canadian law are not the same and we have no experts in Canadian law here.

IP address shows Canada - not that they couldn't live in US though.

Last edited:
I disagree but anyone can call the police anonymously to make a complaint. Whether a person chooses to speak to the person causing a disturbance or not is a judgment call based on the people involved, etc.. In any case, landlords are not babysitters and the tenant cannot expect a landlord to intervene because a neighbor is noisy.
I have had to deal with noisy neighbors and speaking to them directly is my first course of action. Often they are just oblivious and don't realize they may be affecting others.

I disagree but anyone can call the police anonymously to make a complaint. Whether a person chooses to speak to the person causing a disturbance or not is a judgment call based on the people involved, etc.. In any case, landlords are not babysitters and the tenant cannot expect a landlord to intervene because a neighbor is noisy.
I have had to deal with noisy neighbors and speaking to them directly is my first course of action. Often they are just oblivious and don't realize they may be affecting others.

And often it can lead to worsening of the situation. Heck, in some communities it's actually spelled out very clearly that such things DO go first to the landlord. He's a neutral third party.

Of course, if we are firing a shotgun into a barrel of fish...

That aside, this appears to be a Canadian law issue; what is legal in the US does not reflect what is (or is not) legal in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back