Consumer Law, Warranties Texas Wedding Photographer contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

dereck7

My jurisdiction is: Texas/Arizona

In a nut shell, I am in Arizona, my wedding took place in Texas. I hired a Texas wedding photographer in Dallas to photograph our wedding June 15, 08. We purchased her largest package including "all proof prints on cd". Our contract states that we should have received our pictures within 4 weeks from the date we sent her our choices. Sept 1, 2008 I sent our list and began watching the mail for my pictures. At that point the photographer stopped answering phone calls, emails, etc. She ignored us all of September until we contacted Denton Police Dept. and had an officer call to see if she was alive? dead? something?! The photographer called him back almost immediately, and contacted my husband to see if any charges had been filed. He said "No", and expressed our concern at being "ignored for 35 days" The photographer claimed that she had been out of town (for a month?), that she had the pictures, and was anticipating receiving our album the next day. She also offered 20 additional photos as an apology for all our troubles. She then stated that she would send our first collection of photos with the 20 bonus photos when we selected them, and she received them back from the lab. She anticipated that this would take 7-10 days. We sent her the list for the additional 20 pictures on the 12 of October. No Pics. 17 days later...
We emailed her today and received an email and a phone call stating that she never received our email, and then finally decided that we had sent the information to "her other" email box that she does not use that often, which curiously enough had been our primary contact address with her, per her instructions. While on the call my husband sent her the list again to BOTH addresses and requested that she send the first collection immediately. She hesitated and then agreed. I honestly am not confident she even has the pictures as I realized tonight I have never selected a picture for the 20 thank you cards we purchased (included in the original package) and she has not contacted me to address the mistake. I'm in need of information about what kind of case this is and what state/county would have jurisdiction? She is in Dallas county, I am in Phoenix, the wedding took place in Denton county,TX . I don't know if I could represent myself in small claims or if I would have to pay a lawyer (which to me sounds like it would be more expensive then the pictures themself). Is this a breach of contract? Is a breach of contract addressed in small claims court? Do I even have a case? And what would I sue for? Our money? The digital files? The rights to the photos? Can I try to have her sued for court costs/ legal fees etc.?

> Our contract states that we should have received our pictures within 4 weeks from the date we sent her our choices.

This is different than saying "you will receive the pictures." It's not clear it is a breach of contract yet. I would say it's too early to file lawsuit - you need to have an extended period of non performance to satisfy the "reasonable time" clause in typical contracts.

The 20 extra pictures is also verbal - I wouldn't mix it up with the original contract yet.

You can sue for performance of the contract or your deposit back but a better rendition of efforts you made to resolve the situation without the courts would help your case if you ever decided to make it. Suing for damages would be tougher.

Caveat - I am not a lawyer.

"...a better rendition of efforts made to resolve without the courts..." (approximately)

As a former attorney, a certified mediator and currently a professional photographer, I'd have to say you sound like the perfect nightmare client. Litigiousness has never been a character quality I admired. I agree with the above statement of my esteemed non-lawyer colleague. You ought to do more to resolve the situation without running off to the nearest trial court.

Your photographer is probably a one-woman operation with maybe a helper or two (which was why you chose her, she was probably much cheaper than Bella's). Your wedding was probably only one of several she shot around that time of the year (i.e. she might have been overwhelmed with work). She's an artistic personality and may be a bit of a perfectionist with her work but not so adept at thinking or acting like a lawyer or an accountant. Do you have any idea how much time it takes to produce professional quality photography after the shot has been taken... i.e. back in the studio in front of the computer screen?? Artists hate to be nagged while they are working.

On the other hand, it sounds like you should have done more homework before you hired. At least you should have asked for references from past clients or checked to see how many years the woman has been in business. Maybe next time you should go with the higher priced corporate national photography franchise.

Hello dereck7,
I have to disagree konastephen. Just because a person is 'artistic' doesn't mean they don't have to keep their agreements. I too am a photographer, though I don't do it full time as a professional. I have shot weddings, and it does take time.
However, as this photographer has CHOSEN to be in business, it is their responsibility to be upfront with you on how long it is going to take, and what it will cost.
I will say that you will probably be better of, for now, using non court methods. For example, complaints to the Better Business Bureau is a good place to start. If the photographer took on more business than they can handle, that is on them. Squeaky wheel get's the oil, right?
It's been 8 months from your wedding, until you posted this. That is more than enough time to do touch-ups, and get prints done.
Again, complaints to the BBB, FTC, ect are a great place to start. Business owners do not like having them send them letters, or having outstanding/unresolved complaints. I think it will work very well in this situation. Perhaps event the threat of those complaints will do the trick! Just make sure they know you are taking that action, and give them a deadline before you file the complaint.
Brian

Before getting a photographer for your work, make sure you made a document or agreement. This will be safe for both of you. By the way, have you heard of MiNeeds.com? It really simplifies finding affordable wedding photographers. I used it to find them for my wedding. Essentially, after I described what I needed on this site, I received several competitive bids from local photographers. I liked the fact that I didn't have to call around and negotiate with each, and that photographers actually came to me.

mineeds.com/Dallas-Texas-Services/Photographers-Photography
mineeds.com/Dallas-Texas-Services/Wedding-Event-Services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back