Rent, Utilities Termination of Tenant 60 days notice not work due to rental control

Status
Not open for further replies.

hlieu

On the CA 90032 Los Angeles area that has rent control.

I have a 2 bedroom unit rent to a couple that are on Section 8 Housing Department for 15 years on my unit. Due to rent control from the area I only allow 4% raise/year. Current they only paid $600/month where as this area rent the same unit for at least $1200-$1400.
When the husband passed away due to cancer three months ago I want to take back the unit and allow the tenant 60 days notice but the LA Housing Department said I am breaking the law because the tenant has not failed and paid on time and I can not terminate the rental, period.
I ask the LA housing department that do I have to rent to the lady forever and can not take back the unit? The housing department said 'Yes' unless the lady did something wrong.

I was asking the lady that I have a one bedroom unit and will to rent her for $600 and told her that the same unit this area rent for $900 to $1000. This way I can take back the two bedroom unit and rent to someone else but she said she like the two bedroom and would not exchange.

I need help!

I would assume you have to follow the LA Housing Dept. rules. You can run it by a lawyer. You can also hold & see if you get other replies/suggestions here.

On the CA 90032 Los Angeles area that has rent control.

I have a 2 bedroom unit rent to a couple that are on Section 8 Housing Department for 15 years on my unit. Due to rent control from the area I only allow 4% raise/year. Current they only paid $600/month where as this area rent the same unit for at least $1200-$1400.
When the husband passed away due to cancer three months ago I want to take back the unit and allow the tenant 60 days notice but the LA Housing Department said I am breaking the law because the tenant has not failed and paid on time and I can not terminate the rental, period.
I ask the LA housing department that do I have to rent to the lady forever and can not take back the unit? The housing department said 'Yes' unless the lady did something wrong.

I was asking the lady that I have a one bedroom unit and will to rent her for $600 and told her that the same unit this area rent for $900 to $1000. This way I can take back the two bedroom unit and rent to someone else but she said she like the two bedroom and would not exchange.

I need help!

This is why people with moola are leaving LA. Hang on another year, statistically she should die within one year of her hubby.
Otherwise, you got nothing, just nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back