Termination of rights

N

NUfan1982

Jurisdiction
Nebraska
I'm in a position where several years ago I had my parental rights terminated and I feel it was wrongfully done. Without going into great detail I'll share some important keys to this to help you underatand. My ex wife and I had many troubles throughout the years. No, it wasn't drugs, it wasn't theft, or criminal acts, anything like that at all. We simply had a hard time with jobs and houseing. Now, let me make something clear, at no point ever were we in a car or on the street. Yes, we moved around a lot but we always had a roof over our heads and food on our plates. My ex wife's mother decided one day to call CPS on us because we were staying in a hotel room for a brief time. Now last time I checked that's not against the law. She also made accusations that I was mentally unstable. We both jumped through the hoops and proved that wasn't accurate. Then all we had to do according to the courts was prove we could have a place to live and jobs. Which we had. At one point after a long time of court battles etc the state claimed they no longer had a leg to stand on and we're dropping the case. Well then the judge decided not to and kept it going. Eventually no matter what we did the courts were always against us. Finally with the end result. And even after my attorney appealed it he told me they denied it. Then how funny but my then mother in law adopted my kids. Which in the long run was her goal anyway knowing she would get paid to have them. She was also struggling financially as well. My kids are now 11 and 12. I want to find a way to do something about this considering in less then a year my kids are old enough to be heard in court. What options do I have? There has to be something I can do. I would do anything for my kids. My kids continuously tell me they want to live with me. There grandmother never does anything with them or for them. She constantly yells at them. And even though she let's me see them she is constantly threatening me with never seeing them again. Please help!

Were you stripped of your parental rights?

Was the adoption done through, and approved by, the courts?

If yes to both questions, I'm not sure there's anything you can do about overturning both court decisions.

But if there is, it's going to take a good lawyer and that's going to cost you.

You're wrong about children being able to choose where they live at 12, 13, or any other age until they reach majority.

Since you note your parental rights were terminated & the kids adopted by your mother-in-law, I don't see where there is much (if anything) you can do if all this was done through the court system.

You can always talk to/run it by an attorney though.

Where's your ex wife? Did she voluntary terminate her rights so her mother could adopt them or was it involuntary?

This is the statue for termination of parental rights in Nebraska: Nebraska Legislature

If this was done in court, then somewhere you fell under something in this statute. But there are a lot of things missing from your story to know what to advise other than go talk to a lawyer.

Back