tennent moved out refusal to pay back rent and shut off the electric due to non payment

1957monique57

Jurisdiction
Texas
in a written lease between them and me i allowed the utlities in my name be left on and they were to pay their share of the electric and water ,they owed me back rent from december of 400,they paid me 200 of the required 600.00 and jan to feb past rent,600.00 they refused to pay the electric and it was shut off by the electric company . on feb 7 , and then started moving personal effects on feb 10, they left beds and shoes and a tv and 2 couches and kids toys and a fridge washer and dryer. in texts rather hateful responses from the tennents saying they werent paying and wanted out of the lease, the lady tennet said she was waiting on her income tax to pay 238. towards the electric and that was last month , they havent been back and no other words from them how can i reclaim my house and what can i do about their abandoned items. and my electric bill and past due rent,also left dogs running free on the property and no food or water was left for the dogs and i fed and watered them for days,the tennent also refused to pay for trash removal, thus they left a huge pile of trash and debris in the yard and the dog has strowb\n that everywhere

Leaving bills someone else is to pay in your name is not a wise move. Your lease agreement should spell out what services they are required to have and pay for. At this point, your best bet is small claims court.

Your legal option to reclaim your property is to file an eviction action in the proper JP Court or Muni Court.

It takes six to eight weeks to receive the order, give or take on the population of your county.

As far as monies owed, don't wait on it.
Deadbeats don't ever pay their debts.
They usually disappear when otheres stop paying, too.

Back