1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Tenant's Visitor Visitor, Guest

Discussion in 'Other Residential Landlord & Tenant Issues' started by stopsgirl, Dec 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stopsgirl

stopsgirl Law Topic Starter New Member

Can my landlord prohibit my boyfriend from visiting on a daily basis? There is nothing in the lease that addresses this. My lease is up for renewal and he is under the impression that my boyfriend lives with me, but he doesn't. He said that he is going to increase the rent by $50 because my boyfriend is there all the time.

2. Gail_in_Georgia

Gail_in_Georgia Moderator

If your boyfriend is there "all the time" (including throughout the nights) then the implication is, of course is that the guy is living with you even if he has his own residence. This means extra wear and tear on the rental property which the landlord is attempting to cover with the extra rent.

In addition, unless this is a rent controlled unit, the landlord can raise the rent with the new lease even if there's no boyfriend around.

Gail

3. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

You can agree to the $50 rent increase, or you can disagree.
    If you agree, you sign, you pay, you stay.
    If you disagree, you refuse to sign, you don't pay, you vacate.
    Easy choices.
    No problem.

4. disagreeable

disagreeable Well-Known Member

Unless your boyfriend is a resident of the apartment, the terms of your lease govern any restriction the landlord has to giving him a trespass warning from the common areas he needs to cross getting to your apartment.