tenant that was locked out and not evicted.

jb135

Jurisdiction
California
I reside in Sacramento ca and was woke up 2 days ago by the sheriff's department telling me I had to step outside. Now I am on probation so I did as requested. When they told me we were being evicted I said can I see the paper work they refused and said it was the landlords copy. I told them who's name was on the eviction and they wouldn't tell me only said that the courts had a proved of the eviction. so we waited for the property manager to show up who told me I couldn't get back into the house or get any of my things. I told him that I lived there and wanted to claim right of posession as I told the police as well. they said I couldn't and would not let me back into the property. The landlord did however let the man I was subletting a room from back in with 2 of his friends. I asked that the door to my room be locked because of conflicts with my roommates friends and I wanted to make sure my things were safe. I took pictures of the room before I exited. So the next day I called the sheriff's department because I thought this was wrong because I read the eviction paper posted on the house and it only had the man who name I lived with on it. I also read the paperwork that was served which had section 24 1 a checked. And I believe it states that the property owner only knows of one person living on the premises. And did not give an answer form, because of this clause. I explained it to the sheriff's and they told me because I wasn't on the lease there wasn't anything they could do but stand by while I took 15 minutes to take everything I own in my room out. That was impossible to do at the time just not enough time. I told the sheriff's that I had proof of payments to the leasee and that I have mail in my hand from today and that I even have a gas bill in my name and my drivers licence has that address on it. They told me the only thing I could do is go to civil court. Now it is day 3 and one my roommates friends let one of my cats out and no one can find her and I walked by and saw one of the friends going through something that was in my room. I am going nuts not understanding why the leasee got more time to move and me not even being recognised as living there even tho there is a room full of my things and my cats now one cat are all in this apartment. What can I do and what steps can I make to either get back in and get more time or take steps in recovering my losses. I needed more time to move by the end of this month I get my taxes back and will be in a position to leave but I was forced to leave and losing everything I own. I don't know what to do can anyone help

The eviction wasn't illegal.
Your remedy, if you have one, is against the person who allegedly allowed you to sublet.
Your sublet may have contradicted with the real lessee's leasehold.
Either way, you can file a small claims case against the person you paid "rent" to periodically.
Be prepared to rove the value of the items allegedly missing or purloined.

The biggest issue for you will be WHO owed you a duty to protect your property?

After that threshold, proving the value of the goods, and if you were negligent for not taking whatever you could during the 15 minutes offered to you to do so.

Finally, even if you prevail, then you must endeavor to collect on any judgment you receive.

Back