Tenant suing landlord, after 14 day notice

Status
Not open for further replies.

RentHome

I have a multifamily unit.. never had major problems with any tenants,, until now.
I have a tenant that would not pay the rent. Could not afford it after living there many months. Excellent relationship, then.....
I served a 14 day notice to quit. He got an attorney, now alledging lead paint in the house, drafts, poor heat, bad windows, you name it he said he found it.
There may be some lead paint in the cellar. He has a child.
No one has been hurt.. no medical conditions.
His (student free of fee attorney) wrote up a paper 19 pages long of problems, told her not to pay any more rent, and that she will end up owning the building when he is threw with me. I will, as in the past fix everything. This is a free, attorney for the tenant.
He feels he will get anywhere from 50-75K from me.,, plus tripple damages.
I have an attorney, but not in the field of tenant landords problems. He said this state is very tenant slanted towards the tenant and I have no rights. I guess I do not understand what are the "damages" that can be up to 50K. No one is sick, she can move out, no one got hurt. She is not paying any more rent.
Something does not sound right here....... is his attorney just blowing alot of smoke because that is what the school teaches them to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back