Tenant not caring for property

Miserableloser

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
A tenant of mine is responsible for taking care of the lawn and snow removal of the rental property per the lease. I received a summons for the lawn being too long and apparently there was a warning left in the mailbox that was ignored and then a summons issue. It seems that the tenant has no objection to paying the fine that is associated with the violation however this summons has a court appearance required and I needed to take a half day from work to go to court. Could I charge any extra to the tenant related to having to take time off from work and having to deal with the inconvenience of sitting through court.

Thank you

As the owner you are 100% responsible for making sure it gets done. What does the lease say about lawn maintenance? But no, generally you can't bill the tenant for your own failings. If the lease provides for some sort of penalty, maybe.

A tenant of mine is responsible for taking care of the lawn and snow removal of the rental property per the lease.

This is one of the reasons I sold ALL of my rental properties 20 years ago.

Collecting the rent on time was a chore, much less holding tenants accountable for lawn maintenance.

The easiest solution to this dilemma is not hold the tenant responsible for lawn maintenance, rather add a charge for the service to the lease, or increase te lease for the cost and have the lawn maintained by a professional.

Problem solved, as long as your tenant pays the rent in full and on time.

The other issues is to always vet your tenants before leasing the property, and even then you're rolling the dice each month.

Could I charge any extra to the tenant related to having to take time off from work and having to deal with the inconvenience of sitting through court.

What does your lease say about this?

When you called and spoke with the tenant about this, what did he/she say?

If the tenant is breaching the lease to the point that you are being hauled into court for it, don't you think you should be consulting with a local attorney about evicting the tenant and other possible remedies?

Back