Tenant has stored belongings in unauthorized areas

Status
Not open for further replies.

rolm

My jurisdiction is: virginia

My jurisdiction is: virginia

Hello,

I have a home-for-share in Fairfax County, Virginia where 2 individuals, a couple (that I'm having trouble with) and I live. There are multiple issues with the couple (who are renting the master bedroom):

Background:
The couple moved in with excessive furniture/belongings, which I was not aware of before they moved in, and stored it illegally (without my concent) in my car garage and also placed the furniture in the formal living room and formal dining room. They were clearly told before they moved in that the only place they can put their furniture was in their bedroom or in the family room. They were notified immediately to move their belongings but have not. They have been given written notices (2) to remove their belongings but they refuse to comply. Since we did not have a written lease, I gave them a 30 day notice to vacate property. They were given the notice in person and also via certified mail (which they refused to accept). I've also posted the 30 day notice on their door and on the front door (I do not expect them to leave after 30 days).

Question 1:

Can I throw their belongings, currently stored in the unauthorized areas, out of the house (from the garage, living and dining room)?

I have placed a notice on the door to the laundry room (I have revoked their laundry privileges) and on the the door leading to the garage that they are not authorized to enter this area. They are disregarding this notice. I now plan to place a camera in the common areas which which will capture their entering these areas where they are not authorized to go.

Question 2:

Can I call the police and charge them with trespassing and provide video evidence of them entering these two areas?

I have FiOS cable/internet access for the whole house (under my name). I'm concerned that they could order pay-per-view and run my bill into thousands.

Question 3:
Can I legally have this service only in my room and in the other renters' room and have the family room and their bedroom connection discontinued. Since there is no written agreement that I would be providing them this service, I'm not obligated to continue to do so.

Question 4:

When they moved into this house (at the beginning of the this month), I had asked them to provide their name, previous address, DoB, SSN, employment information, so I could verify their background. They said they would do so but have not done so till date after numerous inquiries and two written notices. Can I call the police and ask that they provide this information as I do not feel secure/safe not knowing if they have any criminal history (They are refusing to even give me their full legal names)?

Question 5:

Can I evict the tenant for non-compliance to house rules (in a house for share setting). I don't want to wait until the 5th of the month to file for eviction. Since they have clearly broken all the rules (having furniture all over the house) is this not a good enough reason to have them evicted?

Question 6:
Since the 30 day notice does not end until the 21st of June, can I increase their rent to $3,000/per month (from $750 currently) from the 1st of June until 21st june, since they have essentially taken over the main floor and 2-car garage of a huge single family house? Do I need to give them a 30 day advanced notice for increase in rent?

Last edited:
1. Sure; if you want to get your socks sued off for illegally tossing out their stuff.

If your initial agreement allowed them access to the laundry room/garage, you can't simply "revoke" this because you're pissed at them.

2. Do you actually think the police are going to arrest someone living in your HOUSE because they trespassed into the garage and laundry room?

3. Yes, if you wish.

4. The police will tell you (rightfully so) that this is a civil, not criminal matter and that it was up to you (not them) to do your homework before you agreed to allow these folks to move into your home.

5. Try it. You are likely to get a chuckle from the judge.

6. For heavens sake, you can't be serious.

Gail

There was no agreement to allow them access to the garage. They simply stored their stuff in the garage without permission. In fact, they were clearly told that the garage was out of bounds. There was no agreement on usage of laundry room.

One other question: They were given a 30 day notice to vacate. However, they refused to take it in person. The notice was then sent to them via 3 different ways -- envelope slid under their door. Certified mail (they refused to accept it) and via first class mail. The notice was also been posted on their door (on the outside) which they tore down. Can they go to court and say they never received the notice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back