tenant broke lease without notice

Status
Not open for further replies.

perrine

Tenant signed a 6 month lease on November 1st, 2010. On December 27th I got a call from tenant saying he had lost his job and was moving out of town. I returned from vacation on January 1st. He picked up the last of his things on January 6th. I informed him that he was still obligated to pay January rent. He ignored my request saying he didn't have any money.
Since he didn't pay a large deposit, do I have any recourse in this matter? Or should I just cut my losses and try to rent the place quickly? Going after someone who is penniless seemed futile. Please advise.

Yes. That's the way I'd play it, too. You could sue for the rent. But, you can't get blood from a turnip. I'm sure the dude is suffering enough anyway.

Many landlords would simply focus on getting the place rerented as soon as they can as opposed to taking this tenant to court.

It's always a good idea to get a security deposit to help out in situations like this.

Gail

Army Judge,
Thanks for your quick reply. Your response reminded me of a great quote sent to me recently by a friend: "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." It is from Philo of Alexandria in the year 45 A.D., but seems appropriate in today's climate of economic woes. We are suffering the loss of rent, but I imagine his suffering is greater. Thanks for your assistance.

Last edited:
Army Judge,
Thanks for your quick reply. Your response reminded me of a great quote sent to me recently by a friend: "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." It is from Philo of Alexandria in the year 45 A.D., but seems appropriate in today's climate of economic woes. We are suffering the loss of rent, but I imagine his suffering is greater. Thanks for your assistance.

That is as true today as it was 2,000 years ago!

Thanks for the insight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back