Modifying a Lease Tenant and Co-signer want off lease

HartlandHal

My son and his girlfriend signed a 1-year lease on a one bedroom apartment. Neither qualified on their own, so I co-signed. Six weeks later, the girlfriend decides to break off the relationship with my son. I've been trying to convince her that they should both try to get off the lease and go their separate ways. She refuses. She insists that she wants the apartment, even though she can't afford it on her own. My son asked her to amicably agree to take his name off the lease and find a new co-signer. She refuses. She said she's trying to find a new roommate but isn't having any luck. This is a college town with tens of thousands of students.
I told my son that he cannot sign a new lease anywhere else until he gets his name off the first lease. But since she won't release him, he's stuck. I don't think she has any intention of finding a replacement roommate.
So now, the worst case scenario is the only likely scenario - the two of them living together. How can I get his name off the lease and my name off as co-signer?

My son and his girlfriend signed a 1-year lease on a one bedroom apartment. Neither qualified on their own, so I co-signed. Six weeks later, the girlfriend decides to break off the relationship with my son. I've been trying to convince her that they should both try to get off the lease and go their separate ways. She refuses. She insists that she wants the apartment, even though she can't afford it on her own. My son asked her to amicably agree to take his name off the lease and find a new co-signer. She refuses. She said she's trying to find a new roommate but isn't having any luck. This is a college town with tens of thousands of students.
I told my son that he cannot sign a new lease anywhere else until he gets his name off the first lease. But since she won't release him, he's stuck. I don't think she has any intention of finding a replacement roommate.
So now, the worst case scenario is the only likely scenario - the two of them living together. How can I get his name off the lease and my name off as co-signer?

You can ask the landlord, not his roommate, about early termination.
Most landlords will allow a tenant to buy himself or herself out of a lease.
Say he has six months left, some landlords will let him go for three months rent, maybe four months, or even five months.
Ask the property owner about getting an early out.

I also suggest you counsel your son about never getting into one of these crazy roommate deals again.
They rarely work out as the parties had hoped.

Thank you for your response.
What will happen if he doesn't move in, and I refuse to cover half the rent? They're supposed to take occupancy in August.
Can I just wait until she gets evicted and pay whatever rent is owed?

Thank you for your response.
What will happen if he doesn't move in, and I refuse to cover half the rent? They're supposed to take occupancy in August.
Can I just wait until she gets evicted and pay whatever rent is owed?

You can do whatever you think serves you best.
But, it might be better to surface the idea to the landlord sooner, rather than later.
If you settle this before school starts, the landlord will be able to find another tenant to lessen his potential damages.

If your son is going to rent the apartment alone, why not arrange that now?
If the woman changes her mind and shows up in August, things could get complicated, again.

Co-signing for your child and someone he is not marred to is a horrible idea as you are finding out. If you wish to secure housing for your child and he is not able to sign and qualify for himself, co-sign with just your child or rent in your name. Right now you agreed to pay to house this woman for a year.

Sure you can not pay but if she doesn't either you can still be on the hook for the full amount. You weren't just signing for half the rent, though that may be what your internal agreement amongst yourselves was to be. You signed on for the whole kit and caboodle and if these two kids are poor college students, guess which deeper pocket the landlord is going after? The landlord also doesn't care who resides there, just that they get their money each month. Go to the landlord now and see what options may be available. You might be stuck, but if this is a college town, my bet is that yours isn't the first case like this and there may be some flexibility.

Back