Consumer Fraud Temporary Housing Scam

scammedla

Hey, need some advice hopefully someone here can help me out.
I got into a program at UCLA and needed housing, waited til the last minute and found the "perfect place", condos for rent, right next to my class on Craigslist.
I email the guy, he emails me a contract, posing as an agent for the condo owner with chase bank info for me to deposit 2500 into. I use a cashier's check from my bank and three days later I'm in LA to find I have nowhere to live. I end up staying with family, who are nice enough to get some info from chase while I'm in my classes. The account had been put on hold a few days after my deposit for fraud. I've filed a police report and gone to chase directly, but they say I need a subpoena chase. So lawyer up? Any chance of getting my money back?

Hey, need some advice hopefully someone here can help me out.
I got into a program at UCLA and needed housing, waited til the last minute and found the "perfect place", condos for rent, right next to my class on Craigslist.
I email the guy, he emails me a contract, posing as an agent for the condo owner with chase bank info for me to deposit 2500 into. I use a cashier's check from my bank and three days later I'm in LA to find I have nowhere to live. I end up staying with family, who are nice enough to get some info from chase while I'm in my classes. The account had been put on hold a few days after my deposit for fraud. I've filed a police report and gone to chase directly, but they say I need a subpoena chase. So lawyer up? Any chance of getting my money back?

Unfortunately, you are another victim of the infamous list that begins with the 3rd letter of the English alphabet.
More than likely the scammer isn't even on the North American continent.
I'll let you decide if that means you'll never see one dollar of your $2,500 returned to you.
You could retain an attorney, but that would simply mean flushing more of your money into the sewer.
Your two most effective strategies (one of which you've done) are contacting the police, and never doing anything more on the INFAMOUS list than reading the ridiculous stuff posted on that honey hole for scammers, crooks, frauds, phoneys, fakes, grifters, and charlatans.

Back