Teacher smack my child in the face and left a bruise. Advice. Long Island New York

jonprofeta

So there was a teacher assistant AIS teacher that was helping my son out in his class. He kept blowing the number cubes off the desk she told him to stop he did not stop she put a piece of paper over the cubes and he still did it and she smacked him in the face this was on Thursday we got a call from the principal on Friday letting us know what it happened because the teacher had admitted to it. I later found out that they pulled my son into the principals office before we were notified of the incident and also had him talk with the shrink about what had happened mind you he is only six years old. We had spoken with our son and he didn't want to admit to it because he thought he was in trouble he later told us what it happened and when the lady made a statement to the principal she said that he blew in her face but my son said he never did that. I now have a meeting on Monday with the superintendent and the principal. Is there anything else I should be doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20180121_0ed8b890632547f971518feef5a71e06.jpg

So there was a teacher assistant AIS teacher that was helping my son out in his class. He kept blowing the number cubes off the desk she told him to stop he did not stop she put a piece of paper over the cubes and he still did it and she smacked him in the face this was on Thursday we got a call from the principal on Friday letting us know what it happened because the teacher had admitted to it. I later found out that they pulled my son into the principals office before we were notified of the incident and also had him talk with the shrink about what had happened mind you he is only six years old. We had spoken with our son and he didn't want to admit to it because he thought he was in trouble he later told us what it happened and when the lady made a statement to the principal she said that he blew in her face but my son said he never did that. I now have a meeting on Monday with the superintendent and the principal. Is there anything else I should be doing.

Some parents would report the incident to the police, but in NYC, cops probably wouldn't respond.

Other parents would report it to the state child services agency.

Many parents would talk to a lawyer about a lawsuit.

A few parents would meet with principal, others might report it to the superintendent.

I now have a meeting on Monday with the superintendent and the principal.

Bring a lawyer.

Report it to the police as child abuse. Long Island police may be more receptive to taking action against the teacher.

Do whatever it takes to make that teacher regret the day she was born.

The irony is: if you slapped the teacher you'd go to jail. But the school is probably going to sweep this under the rug unless you hold their feet to the fire and accept nothing less than the teacher's termination.

Last edited:
If you feel compelled to do more you should contact police, social services, or both.

I would not trust the school to handle the matter on its own.

My wife is a teacher as well. Different district. She is wanting to take a calm approach to this. To make sure they do what needs to be done about this situation. I don't believe they are going to do what needs to be done. When we had gotten the call from the principal they were like your son is such a beautiful kid he is so this so that. I told my wife they were kids were kissing ass because they know that have a situation on there hands. Also back to them bringing a shrink in to talk to him about the incident before we were notified was definitely not protocol for a 6 year old.

When you say, Do what needs to be done, what is it that you mean? I'm going somewhere specific with this.

When you say, Do what needs to be done, what is it that you mean? I'm going somewhere specific with this.

Listen I feel for the lady because she messed up big time. And to lose her job over it I feel how bad that will muck Her life up but that's kinda something you don't do. But I'm acting like a parent right now how would you feel if this happened to your son.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did I say you were wrong to feel the way you do? I'm simply clarifying - as far as you are concerned, the only appropriate response is for her to be fired? Am I correct?

Okay, reality check time.

Note that I do not think you're wrong to feel the way you do and yes, if it were my child I would feel the same way. However, there is no law you can invoke, no series of steps you can take and no lawsuit you can file that will force them to fire her. It is NOT your decision what action they take. LEGALLY, what discipline she receives, if any, is not up to you. What with unions and tenure, firing a teacher is not always as easy as you may think. You can call the police; you can call social services, and you certainly can and should meet with the school district. What you cannot do is force them to take the action you want them to take. You can't even force them to tell you what action they take. How the school district disciplines their employees is not any of your business, even though it concerns your child.

I'm not saying they won't fire her; I'm saying that if they don't there is nothing you can do that will force them to.

Last edited:
Should this matter be taken any further is my other question.

Frankly, if it was my kid I would go scorched earth.

However, I agree with cbg that you have no control over what the school does.

But you do have control over seeking criminal prosecution for the assault and filing a lawsuit.

The likelihood of criminal prosecution is low, and even if prosecuted, don't expect a stiff penalty. You can't do anything about that anyway. While you can sue civilly, you are only going to get actual damages here and if there was no medical treatment necessary, that is going to be extremely low.

Your best option IS through the school system. I'm assuming this was a public school. Private schools can still allow corporal punishment though if bruises are left, you are wandering back into assault and battery or child abuse territory. You have a misbehaving kid and an assistant who acted inappropriately. You deal with your kid repeatedly and blatantly disregarding a teacher's instructions. If your child is lucky, the school will overlook his misbehavior this time, but this is not a "get out of jail free card". I'm not saying to expect it to be, but having many years of experience in the education industry, wearing a variety of hats, the most reasonable parents who acknowledge their child's faults get much further than those who clutch pearls and claim their angel couldn't possibly have done anything wrong, or go in spitting fire and ranting up a storm. If your wife is a teacher herself, I'm sure she understands this. It can be hard when you are on the other side of the desk and the fault on the other side is so egregious.

I would be surprised if the assistant was retained, but I only have your side of the story, and know nothing about this person's history or how the incident occurred. Your version sounds like this was a deliberate act, in which case I would be shocked if the school didn't terminate, union and all (teaching assistants aren't tenured but may be in a union). In any event, there is no reason not to meet with the superintendent. You won't know what or how the school plans to act until you do. It might be that whatever they propose is satisfactory. There is never a time when it is alright to hit a student. There just isn't. If you were in Texas or of the states that allows corporal punishment, you might have more of an uphill battle, but in NY, I given it is against the law, you probably don't have to go nuclear to get the school to take this seriously.

As for your child speaking with a "shrink", I assume you mean "School Psychologist" or "Guidance Counselor". There is nothing that would prevent your child speaking with them or require you be notified first unless that is a policy of the school (which would be surprising). Did this person say or do something that was concerning?

Back