teacher ask password student account threatens close account

Status
Not open for further replies.

razrback

A teacher in my daughter's school gave her students permission to use their personal electronics during some free time in her class. When she discovered the student was logged in to his personal animal jam account, she demanded his account name and password so she could close his account. Animal jam is not related to school in any way. It is managed by National Geographic. (School policy says students are not allowed to log in to personal accounts in school.) The account the boy was using is a paid subscription account. The boy did NOT provide his account name and password so the teacher did not shut down his account.

My question, with recent rulings from the supreme court saying this is not legal, how do we inform the teacher this is not legal and what resources can we show her?

This is none of your business unless you are the parent of the child it happened to.

My question, with recent rulings from the supreme court saying this is not legal, how do we inform the teacher this is not legal and what resources can we show her?

The parent or guardian of the child should meet with the superintendent (or the school board) and discuss his, her, or their concerns.

Alternatively, they could bring the matter to the attention of the school's principal.

The child should also be informed to always follow all school rules and the laws of his or her state and nation.

I have a child in that class and wish to stop this before it happens again. Because I have a child in this class it is some of my business. The issue is not about me, it is about the teacher doing something she is not legally allowed to do by asking for personal account info and threatening to mess with personal paid subscription description accounts that are not connected to the school in any way.

If the school's rules say "Do not access personal accounts via our internet", then those rules should be followed.

No, the issue is about who has legal standing to address the issue.

That person is not you.

You are missing the point, SCOTUS has ruled against schools in cases of private account info. At the most the teacher should have taken away the electronic item. To ask for a private password and threaten to close a private account is illegal. Once again, how do we bring this up to the teacher and principal so that the teacher takes the correct legal action in the future?

YOU are missing the point. YOU do not bring it up to anyone at all. THE PARENTS OF THE CHILD IT HAPPENED TO are the ones who sit down with the principal and the teacher. NOT YOU.

Once again, how do we bring this up to the teacher and principal so that the teacher takes the correct legal action in the future?

The parents should ask for a meeting with the teacher and/or principal to discuss the issue.

Standing isn't really an issue here. This is a matter of parents communicating with teachers and school administrators, not a legal proceeding. Any parent can raise their concern to the teacher, principal, or anyone else at any time.
If you choose to have that discussion I suggest you refrain from using the word "illegal" or referring to any court rulings and instead just have a pleasant conversation to come to an understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back